Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I’m a little late in posting today. That’s because I just got home late last night from RWA in Washington DC. And then of course, my old ornery computer wouldn't behave. Always something for technically challenged me. We visited the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, Washington DC for the Romance Writers of America conference and then on to Biltmore House in NC and then spent our last night on the road in crowded Gatlinburg TN. I have lots of book fodder from seeing all of these beautiful places. We had no internet up on the mountain in our rustic cottage the second night out. But we sure had fun hiking to some beautiful falls--a serious one mile hike! We saw a black bear right off the trail but my hero husband stood between the bear and me. Actually, I pushed him in front of me and told the bear my husband had more meat on him than I did! The bear was not impressed and he wandered away without looking back. We saw deer everywhere and took lots of pictures. My legs are sore and my back hurts from traveling (it was not happy and I was in a lot of pain at times) but it’s been so much fun. We went to the National Cathedral in Washington. So beautiful and so peaceful. I sat for a while in the tiny private prayer room. I enjoyed the workshops at RWA and seeing some of you there, too. Now it's back to work on the next books (I have great ideas from the mountains and the great city of Washington). I hope this makes it through okay. I love long road trips across our country but it is sure good to be home again. We have such a lovely land to frolic around in with the bears and deer and other creatures. Oh, yeah. We also saw a skunk. We did not stick around to get a picture of him.

Lenora 

4 comments:

EllenToo said...

I love to travel the US and visit places I have never seen before. I've been to DC several times and loved it...so much to see. I not spent any real time in the Shenandoah National Park but that's one place I like to see more of. I've been to Gatlinburg an the Smoky Mountains NP. Unfortunately I can't do a lot of hiking and I have no one to hike with. Glad the bear was not impressed with you...it's safer that way.

Pamela Tracy said...

I loved your story about the bear and your husband. Years ago I was out with a friend and a dog attacked us. Yup, the friend grabbed me and urged me toward the dog (before I could react!) while she got behind me. The dog, thinking quickly, ran around me to bite my friend. Hmmm, I've always wondered at the irony.

Debby Giusti said...

Lenora, so good seeing you and your hubby in DC. Sounds like you had an exciting trip home. Glad the bear wasn't hungry!

Lenora said...

I've always wanted to see a bear in action and now I have. But I have to admit I was a bit frightened. Of course, by the time the trip was over my husband was turning into a very tired bear!

Lenora :)