Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Romance writing is much more fun than buying a car!

Buying a new car is nothing but a game of numbers. Whoever ends up mixing the numbers better wins! Or so I discovered today.


Who'd ever have thought that buying a car could be so difficult? My husband and I are in search of a new mini-van. We're already a 2 mini-van family because we have 4 kids and since the kids are getting bigger, it has become apparent that we'll continue to be a 2 mini-van family for at least the next few years because we need the room. Anyway, we spent about 3 hours picking out the a newer model mini-van which was the next size up from what we have right now. With a growing 16 year old boy who is already 6 foot 4 inches tall, I need to pay attention to leg room and height.

After a bit of back and forth negotiations we were happy with the price, but not the trade in. I'd done my homework already and knew that the trade in value on my old mini-van was double what they were offering. Without giving us a fair trade they'd be getting more than the original price. Okay, so we haggled a bit more. I kicked my husband's leg under the table to tell him I'd had enough and it was time to go when they suddenly decided they'd give us our trade in price.


It was time to get the financing. No problem I thought. I'd already done my homework and checked with several banks. We were already pre-qualified with an online lender but we had to wait a few days for the paperwork to come in the mail before we could write out the check so we thought we might try to see if we could get a better rate locally. WRONG! Not only was it not a better rate, but it was 5 points higher than the lender online gave us. Of course, I learned later, after we smiled and told the dealer we'd wait for the online lender's paperwork to come in, that this "rate" was really the rate the dealer was willing to give us and not the banks. Bottom line, no matter how you haggle, they get the money they want in the end.

Now, I'm not adverse to paying good money for something that is worthwhile. I know I'd get a lot of pleasure out of driving a nice new van. My kids would certainly love the DVD player and my 16 year old wouldn't complain about not having enough leg room. But what I do mind is the numbers game that feels like the slight of hand. I want fair play. Whatever happen to honesty? Okay, I know you're all rolling your eyes at me. I mean, come on, a fair car dealer? Yeah, right. But why not? Why not put all the facts on the table and not hide them behind false numbers?

This is why I love writing romance novels. While writing a romance isn't easy, it certainly is a lot more enjoyable and honest as it comes straight from the heart. Right now I've taken off my writer's hat for tonight and I'm going to sink into a comfie chair and finish reading Pam's book, Pursuit of Justice. So far, it is awesome! Those of you who don't have a copy, run right out and get yours before they're gone. You'll be so happy you did. So tonight I'm leaving my mini-van whoas behind and will just be a reader who loves reading a great inspirational romantic suspense.



For tonight, I'm back to finding out how this hunky cop named Sam helps Rosa get out of this little mess she's in. I'll deal with buying a new van tomorrow.


Many blessings to you,
Lisa

No comments: