Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Romance and Suspense: a good mix.

We all love when the hero brings down the villian but we even more love when the hero gets the heroine. Because not only is the hero battling against the villian but he is battling to win the heart of the heroine. And conversely she is battling to overcome the villian and win the heart of the hero. So really you have two battles going on. Each important and suspeneful, driving the plot and building the characters.
As every reader of romantic suspense knows, good will triumph over evil and the hero and heroine will be together in the end, but its the journey that takes us there which keeps us entralled.
Some of my all time favorite Romantic Suspense books are :
Invisible Recruit by Mary Buckham
Danger Ground by Justine Dare
Presumed Guilty by Tess Gerritsen
Reluctant Hero by Lenora Worth

Do you have some favorite romantic suspense books you'd like to share? I'm always on the hunt for a new favorite.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Favorite? There isn't enough space in this blog! I'm totally loving the Debby Giusti's new series which started with Countdown to Death. I'm a huge fan of Suz Brockmann and her Navy Seals. And I love Lisa Garner's books. They always keep me up at night.

Ramona Richards said...

As Lisa said, too many! One of the things I loved/hated about Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series is that she let the love affair between Deborah and Dwight build over several books. That pretty much ensured I would buy the next book! It was much like watching your cop brother s-l-o-w-l-y fall in love with someone who was always in trouble.

Pamela Tracy said...

Oh, Ramona, I've never heard of that series. I'll have to write the name down. I'm trying to remember the name of the book where the lady cleaned the mortuary at night, and one night a corpse sat up... oh, he wasn't really dead, and then there was a chase through the whole book.

Margaret Daley said...

I've enjoyed Julie Garwood's contemporary romantic suspense and Dee Henderson.
Margaret

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Dee Henderson books! I've also been reading a lot of Karen Rose. Like her books too.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Dee Henderson books! I've also been reading a lot of Karen Rose. Like her books too.

Debby Giusti said...

Terri, love your picks. Lenora always gets the "love vib" going in her books! And Tess Gerritsen's a favorite of mine.

Thanks, Lisa, for mentioned COUNTDOWN TO DEATH! Cyber hugs!

Ramona, I'm noting Margaret Maron's name, as well. An author I don't know, who would have thought! :)

I'm reading HOMICIDE, a year in the life of the Baltimore cops. It's great for suspense research, but there's no love story!!! Looking forward to a good romantic suspense as soon as I finish this small-print tome!

Terri Reed said...

Hey, Lisa Gardner is a favorite as well. I love all of her IM's written under the name Alica Scott.
Suz is good, though I haven't read one in awhile. I recently discovered Mariah Stewart. I really like her books too.
I haven't heard of Margaret Maron, I'll have to look her up.
Dee Henderson is another one I'd forgotten about. I loved her series with the siblings that weren't blood related.
Too many books so little time.

Lenora said...

Terri, thanks for mentioning my "Reluctant Hero". I so enjoyed writing that book--one of my first suspense type stories for LI. You are so kind!

Lenora :)

Merry said...

A favorite author of mine is Terri Blackstock, delicious suspense and romance.