Sunday, June 20, 2010

Trouble Waters Interview

Today we're welcoming Heath Gerlach, the hero of Troubled Waters, by Rachelle McCalla, June 2010.
Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.


1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.

I work for the FBI, but right now I’m also undercover, working for the Coast Guard on a diamond smuggling case. My top suspect is Tracie Crandall. To investigate her, I need to get to know her. But the more I get to know her, the more I like her.


2. So, during the book you met Tracie Crandall. Tell us a bit about her. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?

From the very first time I saved her life, I felt a strong need to protect Tracie. Where or when that turned into love, I’m not exactly sure, but I’ll do whatever it takes to keep her safe.


3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?

I’m trained in all forms of combat and, given my prior training as a Navy Seal, I’m an expert diver. That comes in handy during our investigation. My greatest weakness is my need for approval. My parents never had time for me growing up. Now I’m doing everything I can to please my boss from the FBI with my work on this case.

4. What scares you?

I’ve seen a lot of people die, and I’m starting to wonder: what would happen to me if I died? Thought I went to church as a child, I’ve lost my faith. I wonder if God really hears my prayers. Does He care about me—or is he like my parents, too busy working to take time for me?
5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I wish I knew what to say to Tracie to get her to open up to me. I’d like to believe she’s innocent, but until she can answer all my question, she remains a suspect.
6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?

I don’t consider myself a non-Christian. I just don’t have an active faith.

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?

So this is what it’s like to know God! I’m so glad I can trust God with all my hopes and fears.

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.—Romans 8:28
A lot of bad things have happened lately, and sometimes it seems like God has let the smugglers get away with everything, including murder. It doesn’t look like God is in charge. But God is working to bring good out of even the most horrible of circumstances. With God’s help, I’ll make sure the bad guys are brought to justice. And I might even win Tracie’s love in the process.

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?

I’m a big scoop of Rocky Road ice cream. It’s been a bumpy journey, but very satisfying in the end.

Thank you Rachelle sharing Heath with us today. He sounds like a perfect hero and what an intriguing story.

3 comments:

Linda Glaz said...

Fascinating article. Nice way to give us hints about the book.

Pamela Tracy said...

Linda,
We think so, too. Thanks so much for stopping by.

Juanita Wickey said...

Another great book coming up. Your hints make me want to get the book now. Putting it on my list.
Juanita
whisper97304@yahoo.com