Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Letting Go


Terri Reed here. Lately I have been wondering where times has gone. It seems only yesterday my oldest child was a toddler and I was the center of her world. Today, she's seventeen and I'm an afterthought. I know its normal. I know she's developing into her own person. I know soon enough she'll leave home and have a life apart from me. Still I find myself looking back and wishing for those happy days again when she was small. But those days are gone. Now she wants her independence. She wants to take the car and go. She's starting her life apart, everyday slipping farther away from the little girl she'd been and moving toward the young woman she's becoming.
And I'm finding myself constantly muttering "I have to let go. I have to let go."
Problem is, I don't want to let.
But I have to.
I just wish it wasn't so hard.

1 comment:

Leann Harris said...

Terri, I understand. I was ok when my oldest left for college, but it hit me when the youngest went away. I went back to full time teaching in addition to writing. Now, I've adjusted and am only writing.