Sunday, September 5, 2010

OUT ON A LIMB Interview


Today we're welcoming Elise McAlister, the heroine of Out on a Limb, by Rachelle McCalla, September 2010.

Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.


1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.

I was flying my powered hang glider over a wooded area, minding my own business, when all of a sudden I realized I was being shot at! They shot my glider right out of the sky and left me running for my life. And wouldn’t you know it, the only vehicle passing by was being driven by the man who once broke my heart, Henry “Cutch” McCutcheon? My family has been feuding with the McCutcheons for longer than I’ve been alive, but I didn’t have any choice. It was either jump in Cutch’s truck or get shot. If it had been anything less, I never would have gone with Cutch.

2. So, during the book you met Henry McCutcheon. Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?

I knew I was in love with Cutch way back when I was nineteen, but after he purposely set me up to be humiliated in front of half of Holyoake county, I’ve never been foolish enough to let him near me again. Now that he’s back in my life you’d better believe I won’t let those old feelings come back again. I’m not crazy enough to let my heart get broken twice by the same man!

3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?

I’m tough as nails and an ace in the sky, whether I’m gliding, dusting crops, or taking pictures for my aerial photography business. But ever since my mom up and left when I was a kid, I’ve refused to let anyone get too close to me. I know that when you love people, they leave you. Love can’t be trusted. Didn’t Cutch prove that to me once already?

4. What scares you?

Those goons who’ve been chasing us, for one thing. I still don’t know what they’re after, but they’re plenty determined and keep getting closer. Speaking of closer, Cutch has been getting a little too close to my wounded heart. That scares me more than anything.
5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Sometimes I wish my family and Cutch’s family hadn’t ever fought, because sometimes, like when we’re hiding out in the woods with the gunmen on our tails, and Cutch wraps me up in those strong arms of his…sometimes I wish we could be friends. Maybe even more than friends. But that’s crazy, isn’t it?
6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?

We McAlisters have been church-going folk since before there was a church in Holyoake County. And I try to follow God’s instructions, but sometimes the Bible asks impossible things, like when it says we should love our enemies (see question #8).

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?

Wow. Just when I think God must be crazy, I find out He’s got things all figured out after all. Let’s just say, this loving-my-enemies thing turned out to be better than I thought it would be. A lot better!
8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.
Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you…Do to others as you would have them do to you.—Luke 6:27-31
The Bible says we’re supposed to love our enemies, but surely God can’t mean for me to love Cutch. I mean, McCutcheons and McAlisters have been fighting forever, and Cutch and I tried to love each other once before. That was the biggest mistake of my life. But yet, I can’t shake the feeling that maybe God is right…
9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?

Banana Cream Pie, because Cutch is driving me bananas. And these goons are trying to cream us! But in the end, everything turns out as sweet as pie. Yum!


Wow, what a interesting story! Can't wait to read it!

No comments: