Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I’ve Been Tagged!

Another photo of the mega-ACFW book signing in the Mall of America!


One of my favorite authors, Margaret Daley, tagged me last week. Be sure to visit her fun and informative blog at http://margaretdaley.blogspot.com/.

Look for names listed after the Six Facts About Debby to see which writers I’ve tagged!

Here are the rules:

1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post.
5. Let each person know when he or she has been tagged.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Six facts? Hmmm? Seems like it should be easy to come up with random tidbits about my life, but . . . well, it’s hard deciding what to include.

Okay, here goes!

Six Little-Known (and probably of little interest ) Facts About Debby:

1. I’m married to a character in a Tom Clancy novel. Antonio Gusto, in THE BEAR AND THE DRAGON, is based on my dear hubby. Clancy came to Fort Irwin, CA, when my Antonio (Tony) was the senior Armor Observer-Controller (OC) at the National Training Center (NTC). The techno-thriller author spent the day, riding all over the extensive NTC desert terrain with my hubby in his Humvee, while Tony explained the simulated battles and live fire operations in detail. Clancy was there to learn how the largest training area in the free world (as big as the state of Rhode Island) rotated units through the simulated battles. Clancy wove some of the details into his later novels. At the end of the special tour, we joined a few other couples on post for a lovely dinner in Tom Clancy’s honor.

2. I penned my first manuscript a couple years after we left Fort Irwin and set the story at the National Training Center. “Write what you know,” the experts say, so my plot centered around a military hero who was the senior Armor OC. Sound familiar? If Tom Clancy used hubby as a character, I figured I could too. The story’s titled HONORABLE MEN and is dedicated to my military heroes—hubby, my son and my dad. First books rarely get published so I doubt you’ll ever see a copy of the story, but when I typed THE END, I was filled with a sense of accomplishment, knowing I had written my first book.

3. I wrote HONORABLE MEN on a portable electric typewriter. Of course, I had to make corrections and then retyped it, once again, on the electric typewriter. Yes, we had a computer, but I was still a PC novice and had a lot to learn. Come to think of it, I still have a lot to learn!

4. These days, I write the first draft of my books on an AlphaSmart 3000. The small keyboard was originally developed for special education students. Durable and sturdy, the Alpha runs for months on the power of just two AA batteries.

5. My maiden name was Willoughby so my nickname in ninth grade was Willow. BTW, Janet Dean has a character named Willowby—different spelling—in her debut, COURTING MISS ADELAIDE, a Love Inspired Historical. It’s a great read so be sure to pick up a copy!

6. Now this is really random trivia: During the workweek, I’m up by 5:30 or 6 AM to I get an early start on my writing. I down three cups of coffee and put off eating breakfast until mid-morning. By ten AM, I’m starving and ready for a couple pieces of toast to hold me over until lunch.

So who’s next?
I’m tagging:

Missy Tippens: http://lifewithmissy.blogspot.com/
Janet Dean: http://janetdean.blogspot.com/
Cheryl Wyatt: http://www.scrollsquirrel.blogspot.com/
Julie Lessman: http://www.julielessman.com/
Mary Connealy: http://www.mconnealy.blogspot.com/
Camy Tang: http://www.camys-loft.blogspot.com/

COUNTDOWN TO DEATH, the launch book in my new Magnolia Medical series, is into the countdown. The editors assured me it will be in bookstores by OCT 14. Hope you’ll look for it, and let me know if you like the story.

The Moonlight and Magnolias Conference will be this weekend in Atlanta. I’ll be giving a workshop, BE PREPARED, along with Missy Tippens, and signing at the Book Fair on Saturday. If you’re at the conference, be sure to say hello!

I’m also presenting the Maggie Award of Excellence in the Unpublished Inspirational Category at the Awards Ceremony on Saturday. Good luck to all the finalists!

SCARED TO DEATH, my second LIS, is a finalist in the Published Inspirational Category so it’s bound to be an exciting night! The other finalists are fantastic writers, and I’m honored to be in their company.

Have a great week. Happy writing!!!

Wishing you abundant blessings,
Debby Giusti

Visit me online at:
http://www.debbygiusti.com/
Blog with me each Wednesday here at:
http://www.ladiesofsuspense.blogspot.com/
I blog on the third Wednesday of each month at:
http://www.seekerville.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Margaret Daley said...

I love Tom Clancy's book. What a tidbit!

Margaret

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Margaret,
Thanks for stopping by! And thanks for tagging me. It's been fun!
Debby

Debby Giusti said...

Pamela J, if you stop by, say hello! Sorry I missed you last week! Such a joy to meet you and Tammy at ACFW!

Pamela Tracy said...

Wow, Tom Clancy! Now that is a tidbit.