Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Taste of Murder Interview

Today we're welcoming Jasmine Delaney, the heroine of A Taste of Murder, by Virginia Smith, October 2008. Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.

You're not kidding. I'll never look at weddings the same way again. Or barbeque. Or beauty pageants!

1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.

My name is Jasmine, but my friends call me Jazzy. It sort of fits, because I’m a musician, a violinist. I play in a classical trio with a couple of friends. I thrive on order, which is why I would never have guessed in a million years that I’d get involved in anything as messy as murder.

A few months ago a guy sent me a message on one of those online community sites and asked if my friends and I would be interested in playing at his sister’s wedding. Well, I’ll be honest here—I checked out Derrick’s online profile, and I couldn’t resist. So I convinced my friends to travel down to a little Kentucky town called Waynesboro, and we arrived right at the beginning of a local Bar-B-Q Festival. Unfortunately, we also got drawn smack into the middle of a local murder. I mean, I checked into my hotel room and what did I find? A body in the bathtub!

2. So, during the book you met Derrick Rogers. Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?

We really didn’t get off to a very good start. Derrick is a great guy, but he isn’t… well, as clean as I am. He’s into hunting and fishing—can you imagine touching a slimy, smelly fish?—and he has a dog. My friends tell me I take neatness to unhealthy levels, and I guess they’re right. But dog hair and fish smell weren’t something I was ready to deal with, even for a gorgeous Christian hunk like Derrick.

But he won me over, and so did his hunting dog, Old Sue. Derrick proved he’s more than just a handsome face. And Old Sue’s the smartest animal God ever created. Why, without Derrick and Old Sue, I’d be dead!


3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?

I’m a great musician (and I have the ego to prove it!) I’m extremely independent, and I don’t like being bossed around. Of course, that trait got me into a lot of trouble when Derrick tried to protect me by insisting that I not get involved in judging the local Little Princess Beauty Pageant. The murder victim’s death left the organizer short one pageant judge, and she was desperate. But Derrick barged right in and told her I couldn’t judge her pageant. It made me so angry! I can’t stand for someone to tell me what I can or can’t do, so I insisted on volunteering just to spite him. Turns out, Derrick was right. Before I knew it, I’d taken the place of the murder victim – in more ways than one.

4. What scares you?

From the time I was a little kid, I’ve battled stage fright. I know, it’s weird that someone who spends a lot of time playing a violin in front of hundreds of wedding guests would suffer from stage fright. I’ve learned to deal with it by closing my eyes and focusing on the One who gave me every ounce of musical talent I have.

Oh – one other thing scares me. Rabid pageant mothers who will stop at nothing to ensure their daughters win the crown. And boy, did I get tangled up with one of those!

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

My stubbornness. Down in Waynesboro I got myself into all kinds of trouble by being stubborn. And I almost got my friends killed, too.

6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?

I’ve been a Christian since I was a kid, and my faith is one of the most important elements of my life. I’m not what you’d call a fanatic, but before I went to Waynesboro I’d made some serious commitments to the Lord. For instance, a year before the Waynesboro trip I promised Him I wouldn’t date any guy who isn’t a Christian. I didn’t pray as much as I should, though. My friend Caitlin was always reminding me to take my worries to the Lord. I just love having friends who pray with me. And for me, too.

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?

By the time I left Waynesboro, my relationship with God had reached new heights. He’s always been my Savior, but in Waynesboro He proved that He’s involved in every aspect of my life, little and big. For a while I thought I was about to meet Him face-to-face, but then I discovered something really cool. I already know Him face-to-face. He was with me through my ordeal, and I know without a doubt He orchestrated my rescue. And besides that, He introduced me to the love of my life. God’s love blows me away!

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.

I sure do. Psalm 92:1 – It is good to praise the Lord and make music to your name, O Most High. This is the signature verse for my friends and me. I’ve always loved music, but until I started dedicating every performance, every song, to Him, my horrible stage fright stopped me from enjoying the gift He gave me. I think that’s why He gave me Christian friends to play with, because together we make beautiful music to His name.

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?

Ah, I’d be a three-tiered wedding cake. I love all the pristine white icing, and the lace-like beauty. Remember, I’m a neatnik, so all that fresh, clean, white appeals to me. But hidden beneath the white cake I’d have a ribbon of deep pink raspberry, because that would jazz up all the white. They don’t call me Jazzy for nothing!

Yum! This book sound exciting! Can't wait to read it. Thank you Virginia for sharing Jasmine with us.

1 comment:

Merry said...

Wonderful interview! I will look forward to reading A Taste of Murder.