Friday, July 30, 2010

30 by 30

Hey friends,

Liz Johnson here. I just had a birthday. I love birthdays, even though the recent ones haven't been as exciting as they were many years ago. But it's always nice to be recognized and reminded how much I'm loved.

But this birthday, this year is special to me. It's my "almost 30" birthday. Yup. I just turned 29. And you know what? I'm pretty excited about that. (And not just because my sister always told me she thought I'd get married at 30.)

The exciting thing for me is what I'm determined to accomplish this year before I hit the big 3-0. I'm determined to start my next decade in a better place spiritually, mentally, and physically. And to that end, I've set my 30 by 30 list. I've decided on 30 things I'm going to do before next year.

Sure, some of them are silly--eat something with mushrooms. Some of them are serious--finish the Rock and Roll half marathon. But all of them are designed to push me and stretch me, and not let me finish this decade just resting on my laurels.

My third book is scheduled to release next year before my birthday, and there's a nice ring to that. Three books by the time I'm 30. I like it. But putting that on my list wouldn't stretch me this year. Not even close. Instead I've included things like complete 2 novels this year and sign a contract on a 3-book deal.

Completing my list on time isn't going to be easy ... but it's certainly going to be interesting! And it's really reminded me about the importance of setting goals. Of writing them down and following through.

What kind of goals do you set for yourself? Do you ever use your birthday as a milestone?

Well, I better get going on my list! Next July will be here before I know it.

No comments: