Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Research: an interesting past time

Research is a part of the writing process that I love. With the help of the internet, I can look up just about anything. I can find descriptions of places I've never been, find facts that will make my writing that much more interesting and scare myself with some of the information I learn. Recently, I was researching Obessive Complusive Disorder for a book I'm writing. It was fascinating and also a bit nerve wrecking to learn there are various causes besides hereditary. One cause that I found interesting was that an extremely bad case of Strep Throat can trigger OCD. I've always heard you don't mess around with Strep, if you even suspect you or your child has it, take them to the doctor. I know that the infection, if not treated, can moved upward into the brain, but I didn't realize the other danger. And of course from the OCD sites, I lost precious writing time by clicking on several other links to other fascinating disorders and totally became engrossed. I know way more than I ever wanted to know about things I hope never to have to come face to face with in my life. But what is that saying, forewarned is forearmed.
Research, fun and fascinating but time consuming.

No comments: