Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Double Jeopardy Interview

Today we're welcoming Patrick McClain, the hero of Double Jeopardy, by Terri Reed, released July 2008. Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.


1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.
I must say I was minding my own business, I’m an Economic Professor, when the temp hired to convert the college’s computer system started having some very strange things happen to her. Next thing I knew, I’m having an altercation with the US Marshal’s service and putting my own life on hold to help Anne.

2. So, during the book you met Anne Jones. Tell us a bit about her. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?
My first impression of Anne was, she’s so young! Well, come to find out she’s only a few years younger than myself. And she had the most incredible violet colored eyes. I can’t say I like her spiky deep red hair but somehow she grew on me. And then I find out her eyes are blue and her hair is actually very blonde. I think I first realized I’d fallen in love with her when she sustained an injury during a shootout with some very nasty characters. But I didn’t admit it to myself until she’d walked out of life and I thought I’d never find her again.

3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?
I’m very logical and analytical, which makes for a great professor but not so much with interpersonal relations.

4. What scares you?
Guns. You see my father was shot and killed in the line of duty. And then people were shooting at Anne and all the old fears and grief surged to the surface.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
That I don’t take enough risks in my life. I was so set on keep my life exactly as it was, that I almost let the love of my life go.

6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?
When my father died, I felt very betrayed by God. How could He let this happen when I so diligently prayed for my father’s safety every night?

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?
Anne helped me to see that God’s way are not our ways. That He gives us all, even the bad guys, free will. By blaming God, I was cutting myself off from His comfort and peace.

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.
And those who know your name put their trust in you; for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you. Psalms 9:10

This scripture really speaks to the heart of trusting God no matter what the circumstances.

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?
Okay, you’re going to laugh, but vanilla ice cream. Yes, it seems so boring, but it tastes the best and can be paired with so many wonderful and delicious sauces, fruits, cakes, cookies...you get the idea. Vanilla ice cream is a foundation for which to build upon. I want to be that foundation for my family.

See more of the McClains in Double Deception, February 2007, Double Cross, September 2008, Double Threat Christmas, December 2008

The McClain’s: Bound by faith, honor and love.

12 comments:

Pamela Tracy said...

LOL, Terri, I'll bet getting this character interview was easy. All you had to do was notify yourself! Sounds like a great book!

Terri Reed said...

LOL. Yes. But trying to get back into Patrick's head after having written three other books since having written this one was a challenge. I had to read some passages in the book to know where he how he'd answer the questions.

Pamela Tracy said...

LOL, you know I feel the same way when I neglect to do the questions at the end. I finished Daddy for Keeps in January. Then, I started a suspense. And in June I had to stop thinking suspense and write questions for a straight romance. Ack.

EllenToo said...

These character interviews are always so fascinating. I learn more about the characters with each of them I read and I think it adds something to the story.

Terri Reed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Terri Reed said...

Ellen, thanks for your comments and we're glad to know you are enjoying the interviews.
Take care

windycindy said...

Hello Patrick, Your interview was very interesting. I can understand why you are afraid of guns! The scripture passage at the beginning of the book makes sense to me know. Thanks, Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Cheryl said...

The character interview really lets us get a "feel" for the story. This definitely sounds like one I want to read.

Cheryl S.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri (and Patrick too). I love the setup for this. So many people feel betrayed by God when something horrible happens in their life. Unfortunately, not everyone finds there way back. I also completely identify with the fear of guns. I have the same fear, even though my husband has them and knows a lot about them...and my two sons use them, one in the Marines and the other in Law Enforcement. What's a pacifist to do? :)

I can't wait to read the book!

Terri Reed said...

Thanks ladies for the encouragement. I hope this book fulfills its expectations.
Maggie, my husband has guns as well. We keep them locked safely away because of the kids. One of our firstdates was to go shooting. My husband is always telling me, it isn't gun that kill, its the people using them.

cheryl c said...

I loved learning about the story through the interview with the hero. Patrick sounds like a guy I would like to know, and the story sounds great.

Minnette Meador said...

Wow, Terri - This sounds like a great book! Definitely on my list...and what a wonderful interview. Congrats on the release! M:)