Sunday, February 21, 2010

FATAL BURN INTERVIEW

Today we're welcoming Kris Donaldson, the heroine of FATAL BURN, a February, 2010 release by Roxanne Rustand. Wow, you've just had quite an adventure. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.

Honestly, there are parts of my life that are a little hard to discuss--especially the violent death of my best friend when I was a child, and my years in the foster care system, for starters. I'm not proud of the roads I traveled as a teenager, believe me. So when I learned that I'd inherited some property in the Montana Rockies from a distant relative I'd never even heard of, it seemed like a wonderful chance for new beginnings. And what perfect timing, with my other new beginning! If God hadn't reached out to me when he did, I probably wouldn't be here today.


So, during the book you met Trace Randall Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression?

The first impression on his part was that I was a thief breaking into the property next to his ranch. The first impression I had of him was he was one very tough, uncompromising man who wasn't going to allow anyone to burglarize his late friend's house! I was sure glad that I had documents to prove I had a right to be there. Those same attributes of his were what later drew me to him, because I certainly hadn't had very positive male figures in my life until Trace came along.



What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?

I guess my strengths are mainly the determination and drive I developed during my early years. Those strengths certainly helped when I earned a county contract to establish a privately-run animal shelter on my property, then discovered that someone not only wanted me out of the county, but wouldn't mind seeing me dead.

My greatest weakness is something I've worked on for a long time. I'd always longed for the loving support of a real family, and that empty place in my heart led me to some naive and even dangerous choices in making friends. Moving to the Rockies and meeting Trace, his sister, and the other good people in the area taught me a lot about true friendship, love, and the wonderful feeling of being part of a close-knit community.


You've got scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.

The verse is one of my favorites: "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

It's a wonderful message for all of us, and it certainly fit the journey I was on during this part of my life!

If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?

A hot fudge sundae with vanilla ice cream, because the ice cream is soft, sweet and simple--what I want to be like now, innocent of the pretense, danger and complexity that marked my earlier life. And, it's wrapped in the rich, flowing warmth of hot fudge. That warmth makes me think of the wonderfully secure, loving feeling of being with Trace, of being a part of a community where people care deeply about each other, and especially, the sense of warmth, security and completion I feel as one of God's children.


Thank you, Roxanne for sharing Kris with us. This sounds so exciting! Can't wait.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I love these interviews with the characters, it's a fun twist. I really enjoyed this book. I recommend both this and the first one to anyone who hasn't read them yet!!