Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Christian music to write by?

I so enjoy music of all types. Swing, jazz, rock, gospel. It doesn't matter as long as it has a beat and I can dance. One of the things I appreciate about the Christian music hitting the radio waves today is that my kids and I can listen to the same music and both be happy. The Fray, Hawk Nelson, Jeremy Camp...all favorites. Barlow Girl, Superchick. I tell you, I am so grateful to these musicians for honoring God's call in their music and their lives.

Of course, I couldn't write or read to Christian rock music (I get too distracted by the lyrics and the beat), but I do write and read to Michael W. Smith's Freedom album. The music soars, inspires and lifts my spirit.

I haven't found many other instrustmental Christian artist to write by. I often listen to the orchestrated versions of Broadway plays or movies. Gregorian chants are soothing. But what really sets my soul on fire and inspires my writing is Celtic music. It could be because I'm ScotIrish.

Do you know any good music that wouldn't be distracting but would inspire while writing? While reading? Please share with me. I'd love to add to my CD collection.

No comments: