Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Guardian's Misson Interview

Today we're welcoming Martha Gabler, the heroine of The Guardian's Mission, Shirlee McCoy, August 2008. Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.


1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense. I'm just an ordinary person, a veterinary technician living in the same small town I grew up in. Everyone talks about everyone in Lakeview, and when I broke up with my fiancé, I knew it was leave town for a couple of days or listen to a thousand people tell me they knew Brian McMath wasn't the guy for me.

Hello?! I could have used that information a little sooner.

My dad's hunting cabin seemed like the perfect place to hide out for a few days. It's way off the beaten track up in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and I knew none of my friends would follow me there. A couple of packs of tissue, a double supply of chocolate and I was ready for anything.
Or so I thought.



2. So, during the book you met Tristan Sinclair. Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?

Love? I thought he wanted to kill me. I walked into my father's cabin and straight into his arms, and I very nearly got us both killed trying to escape. Fortunately, Tristan isn't the kind of guy to panic. He got us out of a very scary situation and got shot in the process. I thought that was that, but he showed up on my doorstep a day later and told me I was in danger and that he was going to be my bodyguard.
Can you believe it? Capable, independent Martha Gabler needing a bodyguard? I thought the idea was laughable, but Tristan was determined. He's the kind of guy you can depend on. Strong and compassionate and more than willing to do what it takes to protect the people he loves. It didn't take me long to realize I needed him. Not just for a while. Forever.

3. What strengths/skills do you have? As I said, I'm capable and independent. I know how to take care of myself and anyone else who wanders into my life. What is your greatest weakness? I'm afraid to love completely. My mother walked out on me and my dad when I was a kid, and it's been hard to trust in love since them. Until I met Tristan, I really didn't think there'd ever be a person I could be completely myself with. With him, I'm not afraid to believe in happily-ever-after.

4. What scares you? The thought of losing someone dear to me.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? Aside from growing a few inches taller and losing a few pounds? What I'd really like to change is my need to control things. Sometimes I don't know when to let go and let others.
6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story? When my story begins, I'm a strong Christian who has made a poor decision. I wanted something desperately and I went after it without listening to the quiet voice inside that was telling me to wait. Sometimes I still kick myself over my decision to get engaged to a man who really didn't love me, but then I remember that decision brought me into Tristan's life. God really does work everything out the way He intends it to be.

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story? I've learned that a few minutes of prayer can save a woman a truck load of regret!

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant. Matthew 7:13-14. This refers to Christ as the only way to salvation, but I also see it as a reminder of how easily we can get off the path God wants us to travel. It's easy to do the wrong thing for what seems like right reasons. That's how I ended up engaged to Brian. I wanted a family and I wanted a home. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with that. The problem was, it wasn't what God wanted for me.

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why? Deep dish apple pie with a scoop of ice cream. Why? Because it's Tristan's favorite!

Thank you Shirlee for lending us Martha today. I'm looking forward to reading this book.

1 comment:

Lisa Mondello said...

Wow. This looks like a fabulous book and I can't wait to read it!

Lisa