Sunday, April 26, 2009

Code of Honor Interview

Today we're welcoming Brice Whelan, the heroine of Code of Honor, Love Inspired Suspense, April 2009 Lenora Worth. Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.


1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.
I grew up in Ireland but after my father died my American mother wanted to move back to her home town of Atlanta, Georgia. I started college in Georgia and met Selena Carter there and fell for her instantly. I never told her this, however. But my poet’s heart pined for her. I probably would have told her, but after meeting her father who was a member of the elite Christian organization called CHAIM, I decided to join that organization. And Selena wanted nothing to do with anyone who became a CHAIM agent. She knew the sacrifices her father and mother had to make when she was growing up. The work is dangerous and secretive, but I knew I wanted to be a part of the special team that helps Christians in trouble the world over. And that is what brought me to Northern Argentina to rescue Selena before a gang of rebels would come back and find her as the lone survivor of her village.

2. So, during the book you were reunited with Selena Carter). Tell us a bit about her. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?
As I said, I fell for Selena the first day we met in college. We got into an argument about politics and I was hooked. She was fiery and determined and she truly had a missionary’s heart. She wanted to serve God, even back then. I’m a man of faith, but Selena has the kind of faith that can move mountains. And get a person in serious trouble at times.

3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness? My skills include mostly physical stuff. I had to train in a kind of special ops mode after joining CHAIM. That’s because we’re sent into very dangerous situations so we have to know how to handle any obstacles. My weakness-handling Selena Carter. She did not want to leave Argentina. She was a missionary nurse down there. And she felt guilty for being the only survivor of that horrible attack. But her father and I think she’s still in danger. Selena is definitely my weakness and my Irish heart tells me that is going to get both of us in trouble.

4. What scares you? Failure.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I’d try to less controlling. With Selena, I sometimes treat her in a condescending way only because I want to protect her. I have to remind myself she’s very capable of taking care of herself. I need to learn how to appreciate that more and I guess I need to back off from “coddling” her as my dear old papa would say.

6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?
I’ve always had a strong faith and the poet in me loves reading the Bible as a source of inspiration. I have a strong feeling I will need to turn to God in order to do my job and save Selena.

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?
At the end of the story, I’ve lost a bit of my faith because Selena has been keeping secrets from me. And that hurts. But God will provide. I just have to pray my way through this and learn and grow and I have to learn to trust Selena again.

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant. “He who follows righteousness and mercy finds life, righteousness and honor.” Proverbs 21:21
I love Proverbs, and I especially believe in this verse because in CHAIM (which means “life” in Hebrew and in this case stands for Christians for Amnesty, Intervention and Ministry) we learn that we shall honor God above all else. We have a certain code of honor and that is to help and protect all Christians the world over. Even the stubborn ones like my dear Selena.

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why? Probably Apple Pie. My mum taught me to love this very American dish. It’s sweet but strong and tart, too. I’d like to believe I’m those things. Selena, however, probably wouldn’t agree with that.

Thank you Lenora for sharing Brice with us. Can't wait to see how the Irishman and his lady get their happy ever after. Sounds like an exciting read!

No comments: