Monday, April 6, 2009

Suspense in everyday life

As a writer of romantic suspense I put my heroines through a lot of situations most people don't go through in their everyday life--thankfully!!! Lately I have had a heroine running for her life from hired assassins, being stalked, facing down the barrel of a gun, being swept away by a raging river, hanging on the side of a cliff, being hit over the head by an intruder, caught in a fire and on and on. I think you get the picture. A lot of bad things happen to my heroines.

In real life we don't usually deal with those kinds of situations and boy am I glad we don't. It's fun in my imagination, but it wouldn't be in real life. However, ordinary people do face a different kind of suspense in their lives. Right now I'm waiting on pins and needles (don't you love that cliche) for the birth of my granddaughter. It used to be one of the things that was suspenseful in childbirth was the sex of the baby. Not anymore. If the parents chose, they know early in the pregnancy if it is going to be a boy or girl. I know there are occasionally mistakes made but not usually. However, childbirth is still filled with suspense. Will everything go all right? Will the baby be all right?

What are some suspenseful things you've encountered in your life lately?

3 comments:

Lenora said...

Suspenseful things--Will I get the book finished? Will I get the proposal for the next book finished? Will I get the contest entries I'm judging done by the deadline? Will I fit into my Easter dress (an old one--can you believe that??)Will I ever lose five pounds???Will spring ever come? Will my children NOT ever drive me seriously crazy??? These are just some of my "cliffhanger" questions today. But God is good and I am not to worry. The thing about life is that it is just like reading a book. You just don't know what's going to happen on the next page! Somedays, you do feel as if you're running from the bad guys or hanging off an emotinal cliff! But thankfully, the Lord provides the net for any fall and faith can move mountains. (Even mountains of laundry, I hope.) Good post, Margaret!

Lenora said...

And it would help if I'd proof things. That's "emotional cliff." Not emotinal. That sounds pretty painful!

Lenora :)

Margaret Daley said...

I share in those emotional cliffs, Lenora.
Margaret