Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Moles-to remove or leave alone?

This morning I went to a dermatologist to have a mole on the arch of my foot 'looked' at. I kind of suspected it would need to be removed, but naively I thought I schedule it for around Christmas time since it took three months before the doctor had an opening to see me in the first place.
Now, you have to understand that I'm of Scot/Irish decent with freckles and moles all over, including my liver! So I said yes when the doctor asked if I'd like her to do a full screening. I've never had a doctor check my scalp before, well...except in grade school when the nurse would come through checking everyone for lice. It never even crossed my mind that I might have moles on my scalp. Luckily, she didn't find anything concerning there. There are several moles that she measured and that we are going to 'watch'. However, she did find one on my forearm that she declared needed to be removed. Okay. I'm thinking at Christmas I'll have two removed. Ha! She removed them right then and there and will be sending them out for biopsy. We'll have the results in a few days. I did not watch. Even looking at the stitches in my foot and on my arm makes me queasy. But I am glad that she was assertive and that I was flexible. I know that God set this up because I know I would have fretted and stressed about the minor surgery. Yes, this isn't a particularly convenient time, (I'm traveling next week) but it was the right time. God always is on time at the right time.
I hope that if you have any moles or spots that suddenly appear, change color or shape, that you'll have them 'looked' at.
May God bless you this week!

No comments: