Monday, September 1, 2008

Are you writing, and hoping to be published? Have you ever received a rejection? I sure have! And I count those rejections as true blessings in my life. They hurt deeply at the time, of course. Before I first sold, I received several, and I was sure those rejections were a sign that I never would sell. But you know what? I look back and see that each of them guided me onto a different path. Helped me work at improving my craft. Taught me valuable lessons.

The road to becoming published is strewn with those who didn't rally after rejection. Didn't keep moving forward. Who didn't hang onto their courage and a belief in their dreams. If you are a writer hoping to see your first book in print, don't give up. There are lots of stories of hope and determination out there! I googled the topic, and found many. Here are just a few that I found on the Internet:

According to a B&N interview, Ray Bradbury had over a thousand rejections over his thirty year career.

Jasper Fforde received 76 rejection letters before his first novel was published.

Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle In Time was rejected by 26 publishers. It's now in its 69th printing.

The author of "Who Killed Virginia Woolf? was told her book wasn't publishable. Then it sold--and reprints have been selling for over eighteen years!

The book, The Princess Diaries was rejected seventeen times. Then it sold, became a best-seller, and became a movie.

Accounts vary, but one source says J.K. Rowling was rejected by nine publishers--who all probably cringe at the thought of what they missed!

The Diary Of Anne Frank was rejected 16 times, but now over 30 million copies are currently in print.

Many writers write for years, facing rejection, doubt, and discouragement....maybe even some of your very favorite authors, because after all, no one was born published. So if you hold that dream close to your heart, hang on to it. Keep learning. Keep growing as a writer. Be open to advice. And best wishes to you as you pursue those dreams!

Roxanne

No comments: