Saturday, September 27, 2008

ACFW conference memories

Last week I went to the ACFW conference and had a fantastic time seeing old friends and meeting new ones. I walked away on Sunday spiritually renewed and energized to write and write.

From the opening meeting to the last event—Angela Hunt’s closing speech—I was captivated by all that happened. I taught a class and learned I need at least two hours to make my presentation rather than an hour. I couldn’t believe when the moderator said I only had ten minutes to go. I was only halfway through. I still had so much I wanted to impart to the people sitting in the class.


This is a picture of me at the booksigning. In front of my poster for Forsaken Canyon, my October Love Inspired Suspense, is the sampler I have a novella in that is a prequel to my Love Inspired Suspense coming out in January called What Sarah Saw.

The booksigning at the Mall of America was a great way to touch readers. I gave way fifteen samples I had left and wished I’d had at least thirty more. So many of the people who stopped to talk to me were just passing by. My goal was to spread the word about Christian fiction. I believe I accomplished that goal.

I went to a class two mornings during the conference on police procedures. It was full of information I could barely get down on the paper. My hand was flying over my paper so fast. Good thing I bought the tape for the class. Mark was fascinating about the ins and outs of being a police officer or detective.

On Friday night about twenty of us (writing for Steeple Hill) went out to dinner and had a blast. My editor, Emily Rodmell, went with us. It was nice to meet her in person for the first time.

This is a picture of me with my editor, Emily.

On Saturday night was the banquet for the conference. At this feast (the food was good) the Book of the Year winners and people who placed were announced. The Craftie Ladies of Suspense did great. Debby and Terri came in third in the short contemporary suspense category. Pamela came in second in that category and I came in second in the short contemporary romance category. The picture is of some of the Steeple Hill authors all dressed up for the banquet.


But the most important thing I brought away from this conference was the importance of the Lord in our life. I felt His hand throughout the weekend as did others. It was amazing!

1 comment:

Maureen said...

It looks like you had a great time and it's wonderful that you came away with such positive thoughts.