Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Badge of Honor Interview

Today we're welcoming Sarah Roberts, the heroine of Badge of Honor, September 2008 release. Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.
1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.
I'm Sarah Roberts, former FBI agent-turned street cop. I lived all over the country, yet when I decided I wanted to work in a smaller community and settle down, I returned to the one town I'd missed the most, Fossil Creek, Colorado. I was pleasantly surprised when their police force hired me.
In law enforcement, we live for that adrenaline rush of a call, when something most people think of as bad, happens. We love the challenge of the unexpected. It's all in a days work, until the call involves family. I was shocked when, a few weeks into my training, my younger sister was the victim of a crime. That she remained the target of a predator rocked my world and forced me to take another look at what is important, in this life and eternity. After ten years with the FBI – it scared me to death to question my career, my future, and my every decision.

2. So, during the book you met Nick Matthews. Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?
We went to high school together and he played basketball with my twin brother. Since he was two years younger than my brother and me, he was too shy to talk to me, and I was sure he didn't know I existed. So in that way, he's changed one hundred percent in fourteen years. He's not really shy now, but insightful. When we met again on the police force, I couldn't believe how quickly the crush I'd had on him in high school returned, despite my attempts to stop it. Since he was my training officer, it was impossible to ignore him, or my feelings, and it was even more dangerous to let my feelings for him show.
Nick detested me at first because he thought I was here to investigate him on an Internal Affairs case he'd been included in. It wasn't easy to convince him otherwise. At the same time, I was trying to protect him from my family problems. In the process of learning the ropes of being a street cop, Nick and I had to learn to overcome trust issues, and falling in love was our reward.

3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?
Being extremely short and petite, I've had to learn to rely more on my strong will and the element of surprise to keep the upper hand in the line of fire. My weakness is over-confidence and reluctance to trust others' capabilities. That's where it was nice to have Nick there to help me find that balance. I was born the bossy big sister, but "being right" isn't nearly as critical to my confidence as it used to be.

4. What scares you?
Not being able to help someone, not being there when they need me is the worst fear I've experienced. That fear sent me to my knees to turn my fear into dependence on God.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I have a difficult time letting go of responsibility. I always seem to take charge, which is going to be a big change in a marriage. Nick and I are trying to find the right balance, and with prayer and patience, it's working out. We know that it takes constant work, that sometimes we will both have to take charge, so we're sure that God will be our constant companion.
6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?
I had wandered away from my walk with God as my job with the FBI took me away from home a lot. I left the FBI so I could be closer to my brother and sister, but I think God really pulled me back at just the right time, right before my sister's attack. Her faith showed me how important it is to keep walking with God all the time, not just when I'm able to go to church. Working with Nick also set a great example for me. I didn't just get closer to God to please them, I wanted to feel that peace and joy like they had.

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?
After so many tragic events, I realize I can't be strong on my own, I need God more than ever. I am still amazed to discover how much easier it is to make it through the bad aspects of my job when I say a little prayer to get me through. It's so basic, I can't believe it took me so long to get into step with Him again. And it's absolutely amazing to share that with fellow cops, and with Nick.

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.
I Peter 2:21-23 refers to how Christ suffered for us, when he did not sin to deserve the punishment he received. Many times we are falsely accused. And we are clearly told not to seek retribution, not to threaten, to let justice be served. That is a difficult challenge for all of us, but especially for law enforcement officers, who play such a critical role in the judicial system. We're also to follow God's command to trust in the system, to pray for our leaders and

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?
Probably crème brulee, a hard top, but soft and mushy inside. Everyone expects cops to be hard-nosed about everything, but I think if they knew us better, they'd find most of us are really very caring and tender-hearted.

Thank you so much Carol for sharing Sarah with us today. I really appreciated hearing from her. I look forward to reading your book.

No comments: