Sunday, April 18, 2010

Calculated Revenge Interview


Today we're welcoming Laney Thompson, the heroine of Calculated Revenge by Jill Elizabeth Nelson, releasing mid-April 2010.

Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.

1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.

I wasn’t always an only child. I had a little sister, but she disappeared eighteen years ago when she was eight years old on my tenth birthday. Now I have an eight year old daughter, and the person who took my kid sister is back, sending me taunting messages! I have to protect my little girl, and the best way to do that is to catch this monster before he strikes again. But how? The FBI failed to catch him before, and I have no training. I need special, expert help.

2. So, during the book you met Noah Ryder. Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?

Noah is the principal of the elementary school where I work. This is my first teaching job and my first school principal to work under. I wasn’t sure I would like him at all. My ex-husband was a good-looking guy who was stuck on himself. I half expected Noah to have the same big ego, but he has proven himself over the months to be a man of honor who really cares about kids. My attraction to him has grown leaps and bounds—secretly. He appears to have no interest in me as a woman, and I don’t want to jeopardize my job by betraying my feelings. Up until this crisis in my life, I had no idea he was hiding a secret past in a career that is just what I need. But I’m afraid I’ll betray my feelings as we work so closely together.

3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?

I am a determined woman. A survivor. Hardships have made me more compassionate in some areas, but suspicious of people in other areas. Family means everything to me. I’m intensely loyal to them. I can be impetuous when I’m afraid, and I need to learn how to forgive—especially myself.

4. What scares you?

Losing my daughter the same way I lost my sister. Especially if the tragedy is in any way my fault . . . like the last time.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

I’d love to have a more carefree heart. Maybe learning to forgive would help me achieve that goal.

6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?

I haven’t left my Christian roots, but I’m not on close speaking terms with God. I have too many unanswered questions . . . and too much personal guilt.

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?

My greatest fear has hit me head on, and I’ve faced deeper betrayal than I thought I could bear from someone I love dearly. Deciding to trust God in spite of the worst has set me free to forgive others, but most of all myself.

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.

And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in Heaven may forgive you your sins. Mark 11:25
Forgiveness set me free to face and overcome my fears. God’s answer to my prayers is beyond my wildest dreams!

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?

Strawberry shortcake – simple, down home, sweet and yummy


Thank you Jill for sharing Laney with us. This sound so intriguing!

2 comments:

Linda Glaz said...

This is the kind of thing that really scares a reader, things that can really happen.

Unknown said...

I loved the "interview." That is a great way to get to know the main character in a story. Makes me want to get a copy of the book right away!