Sunday, April 4, 2010

Mountain Peril Interview


Today we're welcoming Jack Denton, the hero of Mountain Peril by Sandra Robbins , an April 2010 release from Love Inspired Suspense.

Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.


1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.

Suspense was the last thing I was looking for when I came to Webster Falls, NC. I had just gotten out of the Army where I’d served in Special Forces, and I was looking for a nice, quiet town sort of like Mayberry to work in law enforcement. My wife had died in a car accident with another man while I was off on one of the missions that I lived for in the Army, and I needed some time to get over the guilt I felt about how I’d ignored her. I thought nothing could happen in a small college town at the edge of the Appalachians, but I was sure wrong.

2. So, during the book you met Danielle Tyler. Tell us a bit about her. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?

I never expected to meet someone like Danielle Tyler. She’s had a lot happen in her life, too, and I knew from the moment I saw her I would do everything in my power to protect her. When I first met her, she was Dean of Students at Webster University. I was a little bit in awe of her position of authority at the school. I barely finished college, but she had her doctorate and could talk about all kinds of things I knew nothing about. But underneath that professional exterior I saw a woman I really liked. Maybe I was a little star struck at first because her parents were my rock idols when I was growing up. I had all their albums and spent hours in my room pretending to play guitar along with their music. But she had something I’d never seen in anyone else I knew. She had a deep faith that had gotten her through the murder of her college roommate and her fiancé in graduate school. When one of her students was murdered, I was afraid the killer was getting to close to her. I think I knew I loved her the minute she smiled at me, but it took me a long time to tell her. It was only through the grace of God I finally got the opportunity.

3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?

My greatest weakness is my failure to have successful relationships. I’m afraid of commitment because I feel like I’ve failed in the past. My father never loved me, and I ignored my wife to the point she turned to someone else. I feel like I hurt everyone close to me.

4. What scares you?

Even though I tend to discourage anyone from getting too close to me, I’m afraid of being alone. I want to tell Danielle how much I love her, but I’m afraid to voice the words. I don’t want to ruin her life like I did my wife’s.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I’d like to be more relaxed around people and have more fun. I work and come home to a tiny apartment. When I am in a group, I wonder what they’re thinking about me. I suppose my lack of excitement in my life is because I shy away from involvement with people.

6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?

I have no faith in God at the beginning of the story. Danielle tries to reach me, but at that point I can’t see myself trusting something I can’t touch and see.

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?

When Danielle is about to walk out of my life, she tells me that someday I’m going to come up against something I can’t handle on my own. She was so right. When that happened, I found God had been there all the time. He was waiting for me to turn to Him.

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.
The scripture is from Psalms 86:5 and says, “You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call to you.” I found out that God loved me even when I didn’t believe, but He forgave me. I still can’t comprehend all the blessings I received because of His love.

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?

I think if I was a dessert I’d be an apple cobbler. When you look at a cobbler in the pan, all you see is a brown crust covering up what’s inside. Below the surface of that crust, though, is a sweet mixture just waiting to be discovered. Danielle once compared my façade to granite, but she knew there was something better beneath my surface. Through her efforts, I came to know God, and he peeled away the layers of hurt and distrust I’d built up through the years and released the love that I’d been afraid to show.


Thank you Sandra for sharing Jack with us. He sounds like a true hero. Can't wait to read the story!

Happy Easter everyone. May God's love shine on you with many blessings!

No comments: