Friday, September 24, 2010

Dana Mentink's Personal Highlights from the ACFW Conference


Howdy, all. Dana Mentink here. I just flew back from the American Christian Fiction Writers Conference in Indiana and boy are my arms tired! Ha! Here are my top three conference moments in reverse order.

#3. Football
Yep, football. I’m not much of a sports fan but I enjoyed being steeped in the Indiana Colts culture. These folks are serious fans, let me tell you. I’m from California. We love our 49ers and all, but you’d never see an entire city of people here wearing niner jerseys. I enjoyed being surrounded by SERIOUS Colts fans at the local P.F. Changs and I really enjoyed peeked from my sixteenth story hotel room window and seeing the entire city in their blue jerseys making their way to the football stadium. It was so neat to see such pride (and I was happy those Colts won!)

#2 Michael Hague’s Six Step Plot Structure class.
Mr. Hague was not only incredibly knowledgeable about how to put together an amazing story for the big screen or novel, but he was also very entertaining. I think I’ll always have his turning points and stages stuck in my head when I watch a movie and I’ve already put his framework to use in my current WIP. One of the best classes I’ve been too.

#1. Cindy, in the prayer room.
This is my fourth ACFW conference and I’ve never been in the prayer room. This time, a family crisis brought me to the door where I met the amazing Cindy W. She was truly God’s hands and heart for me and I will never forget her kindness and spiritual support.

Did you go to Indiana this year or have you attended ACFW in the past? What were the highpoints?

1 comment:

Pamela Tracy said...

Thanks for sharing. I didn't get to go this year and am trying to find tidbits everywhere.