Sunday, September 12, 2010
Formula for Danger Interview
Today we're welcoming Rachel Grant, the heroine of Formula for Danger by Camy Tang, September 2010.
Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.
1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.
I was working on a new scar-reduction cream product to launch at my family's successful day spa, Joy Luck Life Spa, in Sonoma, California.
But someone was trying to steal my formula--and take me out in the process.
2. So, during the book you met Edward Villa. Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?
I had met Edward several months ago. I hired him to grown the exotic Malaysian basil that's the secret ingredient in my scar reduction cream. As soon as we met, we connected--he gets my jokes, he made me feel comfortable enough to open up to him and be who I am. But then a couple months before the problems started, he suddenly backed away. I felt really hurt because I had shown him who I really was, and it seemed like he just wasn't attracted to that girl. But while he was protecting me from the people trying to steal my formula and kill me, I discovered that he really does care about me, but he had his own issues with God that had to be resolved first.
3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?
I'm very analytical and determined when it comes to my research, but that can be my weakness too. I have a tendency to spend too much time on my research because I want to please my father. I had to learn that God's love for me is more important that my father's approval.
4. What scares you?
I was afraid of losing my father's love for me, which I thought would happen if I failed to launch this scar-reduction cream product on time.
5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I'd really like to be as tactful as my sister Naomi, or as outgoing as my sister Monica. I'm rather shy and a bit socially awkward at times.
6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?
I was a Christian, but I hadn't really understood what it meant to have God's love.
7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?
I'm on my way to knowing the difference between God's unconditional love and the world's conditional approval.
8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.
The scripture is Psalm 24:1 (NIV) "The earth is the LORD’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it." I had no concept before everything happened about how God really has control over everything and really does care for me.
9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?
Strawberry mousse! Light, a little sweet, a little tart. That's me!
Thanks for having me here!
Thank you for joining us! And thank you Camy for such an intriguing story!