Friday, September 10, 2010

When you can't make it ...

Hey there, everyone! Liz Johnson here.

You know, last year at this time, I was typing frantically trying to finish sample chapters and synopses. I brought my laptop to work with me every day so that I could write through lunch. I wrote in every spare minute to get ready for appointments with an agent and an editor at the ACFW conference in Denver.

And I can't help but think that I should be doing the same thing this year. Except I can't make it to the ACFW conference in Indy. I'm going to miss out on catching up with friends, learning from some amazing workshop teachers, and connecting with suspense writers who are just as crazy as I am. No where else in the world can you overhear public plotting of murder and mayhem. Or listen to two women gleefully laughing over the near death of a hero ... because they know he's going to make it and win his woman's heart in the process.

I love the camaraderie of writers conferences, and I'm already feeling a little sad that I can't make it this year. So what am I to do with myself as I listen to my friends talk about packing their bags, polishing their proposals, and setting off for Indy?

I have a few ideas:
1. Start working on my proposals for next year. Come next year, I'll be ready to go!
2. Pray for the attendees, leadership, and staff.
3. Watch the Carol Awards Event online at ACFW.com. This is of particular interest to me this year, as I'll be waiting to hear if my first book, The Kidnapping of Kenzie Thorn, wins in the debut author category. If you're an ACFW member, log in to the website to watch it on September 19 @ 7pm.
4. Sleep in. If I was at conference, I'd have to be up early, so I'll appreciate my weekend even more.

What do you do when you can't make it to a conference, ACFW or otherwise, or something else that you regularly attend?

2 comments:

Lenora said...

I hate to miss a conference, but when I do I try to work, read and do things with my "civilian" friends. That helps so much. Liz, we are so proud of your nomination for your first book! I will be at ACFW to cheer for you and all the nominees. Hey, I'm one, too, for Code of Honor in Short Supsense.
I'll miss you but I'm very happy for your nomination!

Liz Johnson said...

Thanks so much, Lenora! :) Congrats on finaling also. Great suggestions for making good use of my time next weekend. :)