Friday, October 29, 2010

Cold weather is a coming...by Lisa Mondello

I'm always a little sad when Halloween week rolls around. It means I'm going to spend the next week or so raking leaves, cleaning the yard and wrapping myself up with sweaters and heavy socks. Since I'm always cold, it doesn't matter what temperature I keep my house at. I'm still always cold until my husband fires up the pellet stove.

It also means it's time to clean out closets and bookshelves and make room for the holiday stuff. I hate cleaning. There...I said it. I'm the worst housekeeper in the world. I'd rather do anything but housework, except when I have a touch of writer's block. Housework always cures that! But I also hate weeding through books and trying to decide which ones to give away.

Like many of you, I have a book addiction. And since going to conferences usually gives me an overdose of books that I can't possibly read myself, I have the space issue dilemma every year. Luckily for me I have a lot of family members who love reading so I can put those books to good use. But it's easier said than done. Which do you give away? I want to read them all. If I didn't I wouldn't have taken them home in the first place.

Give me some pointers. I know some of you would rather build a new room on your house than give up your books, but there are some people who are good at weaning the bookshelves. I need some of that to rub off on me. How do you decide? By date published? Author? Subject?

On another subject, did I hear Lenora say we're going to have another short story coming up? Yes, she did! Keep checking back for the start of our Thanksgiving story. It's been a while and I'm really excited to write another one.

Until next time, many blessings,
Lisa Mondello

3 comments:

Dana Mentink said...

If it's a book I think about long after I close the pages, I keep it. If I can't remember much about it, it goes to the library donation bin.

Lisa Mondello said...

Thanks Dana. I'm not really so much at odds with books I've read. I defninitely have keepers. It's the ones I haven't gotten to yet that I need to weed out so I can make room for more.

Ramona Richards said...

Over the past five years, I've sold or donated almost 3,000 books...with more to go! In making my decision, I ask three questions.

Will I REALLY read this one (for unread books)? If I've read it, will I read it again? If I won't read it again, did it impact my life that I'm constantly telling people about it?

Only "yes" books go in the keep pile. As someone who still had all her college textbooks when I started this, those helped me downsize the library. My goal is to get everything I own in a one-bedroom condo. I still have a LONG way to go.