Sunday, October 24, 2010

INTO THE DEEP INTERVIEW


Today we're welcoming Nikki Hoffman, the heroine of Into the Deep, Virginia Smith, October 2010.

Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.


1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.

I should have known better than to go on vacation alone. One minute I was in a luxurious condo in Key West, Florida, and the next thing I knew I’d been dragged into a nightmare, with a terrifying Mexican drug cartel, and a crooked senator, and worst of all, my ex-boyfriend!

2. So, during the book you met Ben Dearinger. Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?

Actually, I met Ben four years ago in Cozumel, Mexico. I walked into his scuba diving shop and it really was love at first sight for both of us. Within a week I had quit my job and moved to Mexico to be with him. But then life slapped me in the face, and I came to my senses. I left Ben and went home, and I didn’t have any contact with him at all for three years. See, I have this secret that I don’t ever want him to discover – when I left him in Cozumel, I was pregnant with our son. So when I ran into Ben on the boat dock in Key West, I was stunned!

3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?

I guess my greatest strength is my loyalty. Ben probably wouldn’t agree to that when this story started, but I think he’ll come to realize it in time. My greatest weakness? I’m not very adventurous. That’s a major handicap when you’re in love with a scuba diver!

4. What scares you?

Sharks! They terrify me. And I don’t just mean the ones that live in the water, either.
5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I’d be more daring, more willing to take chances, like Ben is. Of course, I don’t want to go overboard with that. I’m a single mother, and I take my responsibilities to my son seriously. But I do wish I could be a little less cautious, a little more adventurous.

6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?

I came to the Lord four years ago in Cozumel, shortly after I found out I was pregnant, and my faith has grown. I do believe in the power of prayer, but so far that belief has been theoretical.

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?

God has proved that He really is all-powerful, and He really does answer prayer in a big way! My beliefs have been proven, and my faith is stronger than it has ever been.

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.
“Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.” Psalms 139:7-8

That verse describes Ben’s life perfectly. He started running from God when he was a boy, and he ran as far as he could. And of course since he’s a scuba diver, he’s been to some pretty deep depths! But God always knows where we are, and He will always find us. We both discovered that!

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?

I’d be a pineapple sundae, because pineapples are my favorite fruit, and I drink pineapple juice constantly. Ben introduced me to pineapple juice when we lived in Cozumel, and it has always reminded me of him. If I were a dessert, I’d want to be reminded of Ben always.

Thank you Virginia for sharing Nikki with us. This sounds like an exciting read!

No comments: