Monday, November 26, 2007

The History of Pam

A few weeks ago, maybe more, I got tagged to remember what I was doing 30/20/10 years ago. At the time, I had many ideas for blogging running through my mind, so I put off the tag. This morning, I have some ideas for blogging, but every time I start, I get 5-7 words and then I stop. Hmmm, I think, maybe this is boring. Does my reader care about my Thanksgiving, too much food, great family; about the tailgate party I went to Saturday, husband's work party at a resort; about my husband's birthday, had to clean the house, ordered pizza?

So, here's what I was doing 30 years ago. I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL! I loved high school socially. Academically, for the first two years I struggled. Then, I developed a crush on a brain (Bob McGargill) sigh and because I didn't want him to think I was STUPID, I started studying. I'm sure glad I developed that crush. I might still be in high school otherwise.

Twenty years ago I was just out of college. I made one of the road less traveled decisions. Instead of heading home to Nebraska, mommy and daddy, and my wonderful high school friends, I still wanted to see the world. I packed up my car and moved to Arizona, where I knew one person (college roommate). I had a degree in journalism and quickly realized I made more money as a waitress than I would writing obituaries (where you started back then). I didn't go to work at the paper (I've always wondered what my life would have been like had I not been so STUPID. Dah, of course I needed to start at the bottom). Still, I liked being a waitress. I always had money in my pocket and it was a very social job.

Ten years ago, I was an elementary teacher by day (I must have really learned to like school since I went back for yet another degree) and taught college at night. I was always writing. Ten years ago, I didn't write inspirational. I was writing paranormal. I wrote a time travel, followed by a vampire, nudged aside by a ghost, and then there was the angel story. Hmmm, the paranormal market was dead ten years ago. I started writing a contemporary. Ten years ago, I was one year away from my first sale.

So, there you have it. The history 30/20/10 of Pam.

No comments: