Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The War of Art

At a conference recently a friend recommend a book, The War of Art, Break through the Blocks and Win your Inner Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield. I didn't immediately buy it (not another motivatioal book!), but after another friend recommended it, I figured there must be a reason the book keeps coming up. I happened to be at a bookstore about 30 mins from my house and they had one copy so I bought it and promotely read it. I have to say the book was inspiring and motivational and a quick read.
The book is broken up into three sections: Resistence;Defining the Enemy. This section talks about all the various forms that resistence takes that keeps the creative person from doing what God created them from doing. I found it very freeing to be able to label some of the roadblocks that I run into when I'm trying to write.
The next section is titled, Combating Resistence;Turning Pro. Talk about a motivational kick in the rear. The professional doesn't let the resistence win. The professional knocks down her roadblocks and charges through. The professional does her job. She protects the work.
The final section titled, Beyond Resistence;Higher Realm gets a bit metaphyscial and metaphoric which took me some effort to get past but still this section contained insight that I found helpful.
Over all, I would recommend this book for anyone who is struggling with their creativity.

No comments: