Thursday, March 6, 2008

Should I Attend a Conference

I'm in Minneapolis today for pre-conference meetings for the balance of the week. As a board member of ACFW, I get to see the previews of what the September conference will look like. Hold on to your hats, folks, it's going to be another great one!

But if you're an aspiring author, why should you make the effort and spend the money to attend a conference? Here are just a few of my thoughts:

1) You get to meet people (editors, agents, published authors, other writers) who can mentor you, encourage you, challenge you, etc. Writing can be very solitary, so spending time with others who are on the same journey is priceless.

2) You'll learn craft from pros. These same editors, authors, and published authors will share their tips and craft with you. I have learned so much that pushes me to be a better writer at each conference.

3) Fellowship with other writers. They'll get you. They'll understand about characters talking to you. Plots that won't let go. The pain and joy of putting a story on paper.

4) You'll meet God. The praise & worship times are like water to a thirsty soul. I have encountered God in ways I never expected during the ACFW conferences. And now I go expecting to meet Him. He never disappoints.

I've only attended the ACFW conference, but hear good things about other conferences, too. So as you consider how to build your writing, look seriously at attending a conference this year. It can make a huge difference in your journey.

No comments: