Friday, May 23, 2008

Sleep is over rated...

My blog today reflects sleep deprivation on my part. Why? Well, I'm one of those people who loves pets and even though I have 4 teenagers, I consider my pets my babies. Unfortunately, my pets think of themselves as people and therefore deserving of sleeping in my bed.

After spending a good portion of yesterday, I went to bed at approximately 12:30 AM. At 1:30 AM my dog decided to join me in the bed. My dog, a 7 year old beagle named Nike, is small so you would think he wouldn't take up a lot of room. WRONG. He sleeps like a person, on his back with arms and legs spread out, taking up as much as the bed as he can claim. And while I always insist that he sleep at the foot of the bed, somehow he ends up snuggling with me in the middle of the night and I wake up to his furry face. I love him, but not his dog breath. If his dog breath doesn't wake me, it's his whine at 5:30AM to go outside.

Then there is my 14 year old cat, Keturah. I always wondered about her name. It's very old fashioned. I actually googled it once and found a whole bunch of women named Keturah from the 1800s. If anyone knows the meaning of it, let me know. Keturah came to live with us when she was 7 years old. She had an owner who was single, no children and traveled a lot. Her previous owner felt she needed more attention so she moved in my house with 4 children who at the time were ages 6, 7, 8 and 9 and she got more attention than she ever wanted. Truly. She hid beneath my desk for 2 years and only came out at night. Usually around 2:00AM to wake me up and say hello. I'd wake up to one of two things, either the play-with-me purring noise right in my ear or a crazy screech that means one of two things, feed me or there's no more water in my bowl! They usually come around 4:00 AM.

It's my own fault. I spoil my pets. And make no mistake about it, they own me, not the other way around. It does leave me with less sleep than I use to get when my kids were babies. I think I can manage to get one full sleep cycle in between animal calls.

So forgive me if today's blog is a bit off. I'm sleep deprived and need more coffee.

Until next time, many blessings, Lisa Mondello

2 comments:

Debby Giusti said...

Lisa, your post gives new meaning to the "family bed." Hope the coffee gets you through the day! :)

Margaret Daley said...

We ended up shutting our bedroom door to keep our cats out because Peppy wanted to sleep on my face. It's hard to breathe with a cat draped across your mouth and nose.

Margaret