Sunday, November 16, 2008

Have you ever found that a skill you enjoyed as a child has faded as you get older? I spent a lot of time in grade school thinking up myriad horse names..and names for the stables that I wanted to have when I grew up. In high school and college, maybe some girls were dreamily sketching out the name "Mrs--whoever" in the margins of their notebooks. I was still doodling horse names and stable names. But after raising a lot of horses over the years as an adult, thinking up names for them got a whole lot harder--and I never did come up with a good name for our stable. Worse--we did pretty well deciding on names for our two boys, but it took three days to decide on the right name for our daughter, so she could leave the hospital with a name!

This week I was reminded of just how name--and title--impaired I am, because I needed to come up with possible titles for THREE books and a name for that series. Oh...and then there's another book that needs a title asap, too.

What do you think about the titles of books--does they make a difference in whether or not you pick up a book in a store and take a closer look? Will a title turn you away? What are some of your all-time favorites?

2 comments:

apple blossom said...

The title generally doesn't make or break the book for me. I think the cover makes the book. If I like the cover, I'll read the back of the book or the cover flap and find out more about the book.

ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

Merry said...

I love interesting, beautiful covers but some titles just draw me into what is between those covers. Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility prepare me for the characters I will meet. Brandilyn Collins' Kanner Lake series: Violet Dawn, Coral Moon, Crimson Eve and Amber Morn almost paint a picture of the suspense to follow. Finding just the right title must be like the crowning touch to a writer's completed work!
worthy2Bpraised{at}gmail{dot}com