Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Shield of Refuge Interview

Today we're welcoming Amber Scott, the heroine of Shield of Refuge, November 2008 release by Carol Steward. Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.

1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.
I have just recently taken over my grandmother's bakery and am turning it into an all-inclusive party store. I'm a party planner, cake decorator and shop owner of a party store for those who do like to coordinate their own parties.
I was delivering an anniversary cake to the restaurant for a customer. When I came out of the inn, I saw a police officer and woman arguing – and then he forced her into his car. I don't like cops anyway, so I was terrified to say anything at first. Then I was doubtful that he was really a policeman. I tried to follow them in my mini-van while I called 911 to verify it was a real officer. During the chase, I ran into a police SUV and flipped it over. Turned out, Garrett was driving.

2. So, during the book you met Garrett Matthews. Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?
My first impression of Garrett was 'Thank God, he's alive.' I was surprised to find out that he had a sense of humor, even after I'd toppled him. It was impossible not to find him likeable, but since I don't like cops, I kept expecting him to cuff me and throw me in jail. It didn't help that at least a dozen officers were glaring at me and treating me as if I'd hit him deliberately. It didn't take long to realize that Garrett is extraordinary. He should have hated me for running into him. It jeopardized his chances for his dream job. It ruined his perfect record on the police force. I can list a dozen reasons why he should have, but he didn't. Garrett is the youngest in a long line of law enforcement officers. So he made it very clear that that wouldn't change, no matter how much he loved me or how much I wanted him to find another career. But being Garrett, he dealt with everything very directly. That's very reassuring to always know where we stand.

3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?
I'm creative. I love to bake and plan celebrations. It was my escape from family problems as a teenager, and I found out God has blessed me with a skill that I can use to make others happy. My weakness is setting work hours, not letting it consume me.

4. What scares you?
The rise in crime scares me. It's so senseless. Even falling in love is frightening because I'm afraid of losing those I love. Giving your heart to someone takes courage. When I was a teen, my parents divorced, and that rocked my foundation. I'm learning the importance of relying on my faith in all aspects of my life, thanks to Garrett, and his family. I'm learning to love and let God mold us for one another and beginning to really listen to God's guidance.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
To set aside time for myself and my relationship with God. I'm always on the run, and I tend to give God what is leftover instead of giving him my first priority and letting Him make time for the rest of life. Since I tend to be a little hyper, time gets away from me. I can't help but push to get a little more done. That gets old for those around me because I tend to push them, too.

6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?
Definitely a fledgling Christian. I wasn't raised as a believer. I took a lot of wrong turns during my late teens, and it took hitting bottom to listen to anyone else who suggested I might find peace with God. I resented it. Until I realized I was going to hit head-on with a life of misery. I went into it very skeptical that even God could help turn my life around.

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?
I'm still learning. I know that being a Christian doesn't stop the ups and downs of life, but it's truly different with God. He never abandons us. It's not that I'm without fear of bad things happening, but I know that I won't be alone.

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.
This God, his way is perfect, the promise of the Lord proves true; He is a shield for those who take refuge in Him. 2 Samuel 22:31
God has our lives planned from the day we are conceived. He knows our every weakness and flaw, yet he loves us unconditionally and offers us salvation, just for loving Him in return. We weren't promised a perfect life. In fact, we're assured that we will be tested. We are born with the shield at our service, yet in order to use it, we must seek Him.

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?
Eggnog Pie. It's the one pie that my grandmother only made for family occasions, so it was extremely special. It's also unique. I think all of us should feel unique and special. After all, God created us to be like no one else.

Yummy sounding dessert! Thank you Carol for sharing Amber with us. This book sounds like a perfect Holiday read.

No comments: