Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Suspense--its all in the hooks


One of the best books for learning to write fiction is Dwight Swain's
informative and instructional book titled, Techniques of the Selling Writer.
Inside the pages of this book you'll find easy and practical advice on how to format a scene, how to hook your reader, how to string the words together in such a way that you transition from on thought or plot point to the next.
I discovered this book early on in my writing career and have read it at least a half dozen times. And every time I read through it I find another new nugget to apply to my work. I highly recommend this book to all writers, especially those just starting out.

2 comments:

Linda W. said...

And you seem to have mastered the technique. Love your novels.

Terri Reed said...

Thank you Linda. Its hard work but I try