Friday, December 10, 2010

It's officially the Christmas Season

Liz Johnson here, writing from frigidly cold Nashville. If you consider the necessity for winter-weather outerwear, the pervasive use of twinkle lights in my apartment, and the hot apple cider being made in my microwave ... well, there's no other possibility than the arrival of the Christmas season.

For most this season is filled with shopping, parties, travel, and family bonding. My life is no different. As I write this, I'm waiting to get on a plane for 3 days of travel for work. I'm still trying to decide what to get my dad. I haven't even started the family Christmas letter (one of the perks of being the writer in the family). Oh, and let's not forget that proposal my editor asked for and the novella that's due in February. It's a plumb busy season.

But as I think about the rush and tumble of these coming weeks, I'm encouraged by a single verse from the book of Matthew.

“Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and they will call him Emmanuel, which means ‘God is with us.’” – Matthew 1:23

Not only is Christmas a reminder of Jesus' birth and his death and resurrection that saves us, but it's also a reminder of the promise that God is with us in the good and bad days of our lives. It's a reminder that through the grace of God we have the strength to make it through every day--even the crazy holidays.

So the next time you're feeling a little bit worn out, remember that God is with you, giving you the strength you need. And I bet there's someone else you know who could use a reminder that they don't have to just suffer through another hectic holiday season. This is a time to be merry because the grace of God came to earth in the form of Jesus Christ. And that God is with us every step of the way.
So, here's to a Merry Christmas. I hope you enjoy the season and find a renewed strength to enjoy every moment of it.

1 comment:

Dana Mentink said...

Thanks for the reminder of what the season is about, Liz!