Monday, December 8, 2008

Seventeen Days until Christmas

Last Monday I made my list of 25 things to do until Christmas. At that time there were 25 days until Christmas. Now, there's only 17! So, I have to look at my list.


Done:
1. Put the knick-knacks around the house (Memo to self: time to get rid of some)
I'm pretty sure there's a box of Christmas stuff still in the shed, but I don't think I'll mention that to hubby.
2. Clean house (We're having a kiddie party next Saturday for Mikey's Bible Hour class)
We had the kiddie party. It was great. And, boy was my house clean.
3. Call CWOW members who haven't responded to Christmas invite (CWOW stands for Christian Writers of the West. It's the local ACFW group. We're having our first Christmas party and a few members don't comprehend the meaning of RSVP)
I'm putting this in the done column because we had the party. I never did call the members - got busy. But, we had a great party. I made three new writer friends (that's the best Christmas present!). In the picture, you see Leslie, Lori, Kathleen, Sheri, and me!)
4. Make chips and dip for above party.
Not only did I make chips and dip, but I looked at the sign-up, in time, and realized I'd volunteered dessert. So, I stopped at Safeway and got cheesecake. Plus, I had all these vegetables and dip left from the kiddy party and took that, too.
5. Book a hotel near Williams, Arizona, for the 19th (I would have done this already but Don says we have to stay at a hotel where he can earn points. I don't know which hotel to book.)
Booked hotel. According to Triple A book should have been 40 a night. According to reservationist, we'll be paying 70 a night because of the Christmas season. Me, I'm thinking hotel never honors amount they put in Triple A book.
6. Make sure I have babysitters for all adult events.
Now, if they just don't cancel!
7. Urge husband to decorate outside.
Didn't need to urge him. He did it on his own. Plus, the next-door neighbor gave us a giant blow-up Santa after watching Don put up our giant blue-up snowmen.

Almost Done:
1. Set up the tree (It's fake. I've never had a real one. Think cats.)
Tree is up, lights are on, ornaments are still in the shed.
2. Buy gifts (I buy gifts all year round. About a week before Christmas, I unload the gift closet and I get out my Christmas list. I make little name cards and make a spot around the house for everyone. This is how I find out if I bought too much for one relative or not enough for another relative. My husband shops on Christmas Eve.)
I almost wish this was still on the not done list. See, our neighborhood K-Mart is closing, and I went there last week - twice!. I'm probably down to just four more presents to buy.

Not Done:
1. Write my Christmas letter (My favorite thing! God has truly blessed me)
2. Mail the cards (There's usually more than a 100)
3. Wrap gifts (hubby does paper - he even measures when he cuts! Me, I'm a big believer in decorated bags)
4. Mail gifts (This is no fun. You can't just drop the gifts in a bag and black marker a name. I'm usually running late on this)
5. Make green bean casserole for RWA party (Somebody - think best friend Cathy McDavid - grabbed the chips and dip card before I did!)
6. Buy the book the Polar Express (We're actually going to ride it on the 19th)
7. Attend church group party (There might be singing around the piano. What fun!)
8. Critique group party (My amazing critique group - Cathy McDavid, Connie Flynn, and Libby Banks - usually has dinner at an Olive Garden. I found the perfect presents this year. I really must drop those presents in a gift bag soon.)
9. Attend Mikey's pre-school Christmas presentation.
10. Take Mikey to get picture with Santa Clause (I'll probably do this at Sears.)
11. Finish grading finals at work, clean office, lock office door.
12. Still need to write five pages a day on Fugitive Hearts, due January 15th.
13. Urge husband to drive two hours to take whole family to the snow.
14. Take Mikey to Chaz's birthday party.
15. Settle back and enjoy the season.
16. Thank God every day for more than twenty-five blessings.

8 comments:

EllenToo said...

Gosh you made me tired just reading all you have to do to get ready for Christmas.

apple blossom said...

Oh, my. I don't even have my tree up and my cards addressed. I'm thinking I'm behind.

ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

Pamela Tracy said...

And I'm so excited that I get to move some of the items on my list to done or almost done.
I love lists!
I'm sick, I tell you! LOL

Debby Giusti said...

You're making me feel even farther behind!!! Love your list and watching you complete it!

Ausjenny said...

I agree im tired just reading the lists.
I also buy all year round the last gift was to order flowers for mum last week.
trees up. ornaments out. cards mostly done. christmas letter. I told them all to email me for my news! cards to america with letter cost 2.05, without 1.25.
I cant believe in 2 weeks today I will be in Melbourne.
Its so scary. But I do love this season. (I think im glad Summer is holding of also I get more done)

Pamela Tracy said...

Wow, I never thought about the cost difference to mail cards. There should be a special stamp just for Christmas!

Ausjenny said...

PamelaTracy we do have special stamps just for christmas. local stamps for christmas cards are 50cents and normal 55cents.

Merry said...

What a great list... I need to go make one now and cross off things I already did to make myself feel better!