Sunday, September 27, 2009

Final Exposure Interview


Today we're welcoming Erin Cole, the heroine of FINAL EXPOSURE by Roxanne Rustand, released this month (September, 2009.) Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.


1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.

My personal experience with suspense began when I was a child. My two cousins and I were best friends with another little girl who was abducted and murdered. Her death was horrible enough. The nightmares, after she was found buried in a shallow grave, were worse—made all the more terrifying because her killer wasn’t found for a long, long time.

We all dealt with the grief and terror of those times in different ways. I moved away from Montana right after high school and never looked back. Never dreamed I’d ever return for any reason, except for brief visits with relatives. And why would I? The old nightmares continued to slither back into my restless nights at the most unexpected times…especially whenever I went home.

But finally, it was time to make peace with the past. To settle my feelings over that tragedy as an adult. And, my elderly grandfather wanted to retire and sell my grandma’s little general store in a tourist area up in the mountains. With no buyers and failing health, he was struggling, and I just had to help him--even if it meant going back to the place where my nightmares all began. I’m glad I did. But I sure didn’t expect that there would still be terror lurking in the darkness when I returned.


2. So, during the book you met Jack Matthews. Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?

Well...I sure didn't expect expecting tall, dark and mysterious landing on my door--or the fact that this guy would have a young boy with him. There's something so...well, just so sweet and touching and heroic about a big guy, who has no clue about being a father, trying his best to parent a little orphaned child. Just watching Jack with Max made my heart melt.

3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?
I learned to take care of myself, over the years. To be independent, and strong, and determined. My greatest weakness was perhaps also a strength, in a way. It was my deep fear that someday, a killer would come after me, and I'd be helpless--just like my childhood friend was. That emotion drove me to take self defense classes, and to develop a stronger sense of wariness and self preservation. If I hadn't nurtured that side of me, I would've been dead by now.

4. What scares you?
Strangers. Dark, shadowed places. Fierce storms at night, when I wouldn't be able to hear footsteps creeping around the outside of my house. But, I'm much better now.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
If you'd asked me earlier, I'd say that I wish I'd been a better judge of men, in a romantic sense. But now? I think every step of my life has been part of God's plan for me. That everything unfolded as it should. If I had settled for Mr. Almost Right years ago, I never would've met Jack and Max.

6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?
I've always believed in God. But when my best friend was viciously murdered, that shook my trust. If God hadn't stepped in to save her--a sweet, good girl like her--how could he care at all about me?

But I've learned things now, and my faith is so much stronger. I had clung to my childish view of the world and of God's love way too long. Men are still capable of evil. They have free will to commit horrible crimes. But God is with me every moment of every day, filling me with a sense of love and reassurance. And I see now that my prayers have always been answered in so many ways.

7. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.
This is one of my very favorite Bible verses. It's one that I try to live by, every single day...and it fits perfectly with the lessons I learned after Jack came to town, and all the trouble began.
"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God's peace which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Jesus Christ." Philippians 4: 6-7

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?

An Oreo cookie. They remind me of what I once was...hard on the outside, but with a soft, bruised heart on the inside. And hey--I just love them with a tall, cold glass of milk! 

Ohhh, I love orea's too. Thank you Roxanne for sharing Erin with us today. This sounds like an exciting read.

4 comments:

Debby Giusti said...

Roxanne, the story sounds great!!! Congrats on your continued success!

Project Journal said...

Debby, I agree! I said yesterday that I was going to Walmart today and they hopefully still had at least one copy left....well they did! I can't wait to read it : )
Hannah

Roxanne Rustand said...

Thanks so much for your comments! I loved writing this trilogy. In fact, I'm planning to write two more in the series. Those character first appear in the second and third books of the trilogy, and I so look forward to letting them come to life on their own!

Best wishes and blessings to all!
Roxanne

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read this book. It sounds interesting. I loved the last book that you wrote and can't wait to read more.

cynthiakchow@earthlink.net