Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Stepping Out In Faith


By Debby Giusti

One of the scripture readings at church last Sunday was Matthew 14:22-33, the story of Jesus walking on the water. As the familiar passage was read, I closed my eyes and imagined the scene.

I envisioned the waves crashing against the small fishing boat and heard the howling wind. The apostles were frightened by the storm and even more so when they saw Jesus coming towards them on the water. “It is a ghost,” they exclaimed in fear.

With his eyes on Jesus, Peter got out of the boat and started to walk toward Christ. Then his courage faltered, and he began to sink, crying out, “Lord, save me!” As we all know, Jesus stretched out his hand and saved Peter, saying, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

The story reminded me of the writer's life. Often we hear Christ challenging us to step out in faith, whether with an idea for a story or a change of direction for our writing. We set out, enthused at the onset, only to find rough seas and struggle along the way. When our confidence is shaken, we call to the Lord for help. Of course, He is always there, ready to still the chaos and calm the storm.

Who are you in the story? Are you one of the apostles cowering in the boat? Are you Peter, who boldly steps out in faith? Or are you someone watching from shore?

Happy reading! Happy writing!

Wishing you abundant blessings,
Debby Giusti
www.DebbyGiusti.com
www.seekerville.blogspot.com

THE OFFICER'S SECRET, by Debby Giusti, available in print or e-book. Watch for THE CAPTAIN'S MISSION, out in October 2011.

7 comments:

Tea said...

Luv suspense. Would luv to have your widget.

Sheri Salatin said...

I would like to say that I'm Peter, boldly stepping out in faith. In reality I would probably be one of the other disciples cowering in the boat.
This is the third blog post I've read this morning about Faith...do you think God is trying to tell me something?

Pamela Tracy said...

I've always favored Peter. Next to Thomas, and the sons of Thunder, he made the most mistakes. He was also a bit rash. I think authors have to realize they will make mistakes, and I think it takes a bit of rashness to make it in this business.

Debby Giusti said...

Hi TEA!

Thanks for being with us today!

Debby Giusti said...

HI Sheri,

Maybe God sent out Faith vibes that I picked up on. I've been focused on this scripture since Sunday. The comparison with my writing journey--that stepping out in faith and then wondering how I'm going succeed--has been so, so strong.

You are a Peter, Sheri!

Debby Giusti said...

Pam,
I love Peter, too. Love that he messed up big time, yet he accepted the Lord's forgiveness and went on to spread His Kingdom on earth.

Peter is a man after my own heart!

Hugs.

Cassy said...

Honestly, there were times in my christian life that I am acting like Peter, doubtful and of less faith in God.

Cassy from Guitar Made Easy