Monday, August 30, 2010

A $50 Million Dollar Advance a Reality...

...just not for me. Recently Janet Evanovich had asked for a $50 million advance on her next four books. This resulted in a big discussion on one of my writing loops. It’s not a Christian loop, but there is some great information to be gleaned from it.

I have to admit to a pang of envy. I can’t even imagine that kind of money. Just for writing four books. Which I plan to do anyway over the next year or so. $50 million!

Someone said on the loop that “it’s human nature to envy those who have more and nothing is ever going to change that.” I thought that was really sad. Because even thought I might have felt a momentary twinge of envy, I don’t have to let it be a big deal.

It makes me sad to think that some writers will never be satisfied with anything. Rave reviews, big sales numbers, huge marketing bucks invested by their publisher, etc. Because if you don’t have a balance, something to counteract that envy, then envy becomes bitterness and questioning of self-worth comes into play. Honestly, I want to have more character than that.

So I have to give myself a reality check every once in a while. When I feel professional envy (or any other kind for that matter), I know it’s time to dig deep into God’s word and have him remind me that HE’S the one in control of, not just my career, but my LIFE! If he wants me to have a $50 million advance one day, will I turn it down? Um…no. But I’ll rest assured HE wanted me to have it and whatever the dollar amount, HE’S the one who made it happen in the first place. So, while my advances certainly don’t rival $50 million, I can rest in the peace that comes with doing what I’m supposed to be doing—and getting the money he wants me to have.

How about you? Have you ever felt that little poke of envy when you hear of another writer doing great? Selling like crazy? Hitting the bestseller’s list while your book simply sells well? How do you respond?

6 comments:

GunDiva said...

Wow. I just want my book to sell. I can't imagine talking those kinds of numbers.

Debby Giusti said...

Lynette,
Hmmm? Interesting blog today. Often I question my own ability when I hear of someone else's success. It's as if I haven't worked hard enough or don't have enough ability or drive. Those negative thoughts aren't good and can hinder my progress if left to fester and grow.

Janet E has worked long and hard for years and years. I'm sure a savvy agent is encouraging her to demand that high payement. Did she get it?

Pamela Tracy said...

I cannot even fathom asking for that much. I guess with the troubles Borders is experiencing and know that Dorchester is going under, I'd not be one who'd ask for that much.

Lynette Eason said...

Hi Debby and all, thanks for stopping by. And yes, from what I understand, she got the advance. I'm with y'all, I can't even imagine!! LOL.

Tracy Krauss said...

Yeah, those numbers are huge. Who says the publishing industry is in the toilet?! I must admit to a 'jealous bone' once in awhile, though, when I read about other people's success. I guess it really is human nature, but your advice to get in God's face as soon as possible is excellent and so true.

Margaret Daley said...

That is beyond anything I could hope or imagine. If she got it, her books must really be selling.