Friday, August 20, 2010

A little out of focus

Liz Johnson here ...
I went to the eye doctor this week. Generally not a traumatic expeirence for me, as I've had terrible vision since I was seven. But this week I went over my lunch hour and was surprised when they dilated my eyes. When I got back into my car after the visit, I discovered that I just couldn't get my eyes to focus. Try as I might, I could not make it out of the parking lot without wearing those silly, wrap sunglasses behind my regular glasses.

Do you have moments like that in your life, when you try to focus on something but it's just not working? And then when you put things in the right perspective, all of a sudden life becomes clearer?

That's how I've felt lately about the crazyness that has become my life. I'm so busy with my day job, writing, and trying to settle into a new city that sometimes I just don't know what to focus on. And if I can't bring anything into focus, nothing gets done.

What do you do when you feel that way? What lens do you put on to bring things into focus?

For me, that lens is prayer. When I start asking God to make my priorities clear, He makes it clear that my relationship with Him is number one. And when that's in focus, everything else becomes clearer, too.

1 comment:

Pamela Tracy said...

I stopped being able to read my paperbacks when my son was four months old. The baby doctor said I was exhausted. When my son was nine months, I went to the eye doctor who looked at me like I was nuts and gave me a presciption for glasses that was long overdue. I still remember putting on the glasses and the words had come back!!!!