Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Comfort food for the Reader's soul

During the summer the media talks about 'the beach' read. But what about 'the cold, rainy' day read? Oh, those lovely fall rainy days when the sky is gray and the air is brisk. Now those are the kind of days I like to curl up on the couch, a throw over my legs and a book in my hands. And I love to have a warm bowl of soup to nourish my body as well as my soul. My all time favorite comfort soup is Tomato Basil. Because I'm not much of a cook, I usually open a can, but only Amy's Organic Tomato Basil. But if I'm in an ambitious mood I do have the most delicious receipe!
Tomato Basil Soup
3 Tbl butter
1 large onion, sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
4 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (to easily peel place tomatoes in hot water until the skin puckers)
1/2 cup lightly packed chopped fresh basil
3/4 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp ground white pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
salt to taste
In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and carrot, cook until onion is transparent. Stirring frequently. Stir in tomatoes, basil, sugar, and white pepper. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Pour into food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Return to pan and stir in broth and salt. Heat until steaming. Ladle into individual bowls and float 1 basil leave on top. Serves 6-8

1 comment:

Varina M said...

That soup sounds wonderful. I wish we had more fall days like that, but maybe when winter comes...