Monday, October 12, 2009

Full time writing and full time day job

Hi all, Lynette Eason here. Sorry I’m a little late posting. We are battling the flu in my house and I just remembered today was my day.

I’ve been doing some thinking. A week from today, I go back to work full time. I love being a full time writer and feel very blessed to have been able to be one for the past two years. However, it’s been tough financially even with the writing contracts, etc. So, the 19th is the big day.

I’m a little excited and a little bummed. Not to mention a tad worried at how I will keep up the pace of writing full time while working full time and making sure my family doesn’t feel neglected. I guess I won’t be sleeping much! LOL. Fortunately, I have flexible hours, can set my own schedule and do some stuff from home. So, that’s the good thing about it. That and the benefits! No more paying for health insurance out of pocket!

Seriously, if any full time writers out there with full time day jobs care to share your advice and experiences, I’m sure there’s more than just myself that would love to hear about it.

4 comments:

Pamela Tracy said...

I usually write 5:30 to 7:30, and then my son gets up. We leave for school (preschool) and work (teacher) at about 8:30. I get home at 5ish, cook dinner, play with with son, and drop exhausted into bed. Yup, 5:30 - 7:30.

Pamela Tracy said...

Oh, and although the time is posting at 10:22. It's really 7:22. I'm on Mountain time.

Leann Harris said...

My last two books for LIS I was teaching full time. I'd leave the house at 7 AM and travel into the city. I got back at 5:30-6:00pm. What I did is everynight from 9:00 to 10:00 I wrote. I didn't skip my time, put the recorder on if it was something I wanted to see. I ended up turning in both books early. And there was that prayer thing.

Dana Mentink said...

I write from 4-5:30a.m.and maybe a quick session after work.I have a hard time finding moments to do the "other" writing- like updating blogs, etc.