Sunday, October 11, 2009

Trial by Fire Interview


Today we're welcoming Tricia Jamison, the heroine of Trial by Fire, by Cara C. Putman, which releases in October. Wow, you've had quite an adventure.


1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.

After watching my brother and his fiancĂ©e go through their harrowing adventures in Deadly Exposure, I thought our family had paid its dues. Boy was I wrong. This latest episode was almost too much. I’m an attorney. It’s not like I’m on the front lines like a police officer or fireman. But this time I was. I’m so grateful God never left me.

2. So, during the book you met Noah Brust. Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?

I met Noah initially when I worked a case defending the city and some firefighters in a lawsuit surrounding a fire that destroyed a building and led to several deaths. He was one of the witnesses and my responsibility. Let’s just say he didn’t appreciate how the trial went. So when I ran in to him a year later, I didn’t know what to expect. There’s been intense sparks between us the first time, but he’d walked away from it. That left me leery of letting anything else develop between us.

But the more he tried to figure out why fires were being started at my mom’s and then Caleb’s, the more I couldn’t ignore the fact that I liked him…a lot. And it seemed clear the feeling was mutual. But as everything was stripped away from me, Noah was still there. And I wanted him to stand next to me the rest of our lives.

3. What strengths do you have?

I’m a survivor. I take what life hands my way and try to live my life as a living sacrifice to God. Sometimes He’s asked more of me than I thought I could give, and I have been far from perfect, but if He can use me, He can use anyone. And because of my past, I have great empathy for the women I help with the domestic violence cases I work. I know they can become more than victims and if I can be part of that process, then I have accomplished something meaningful.

4. What scares you?
Before I would have said losing everything I own. Now that I’ve survived that, I would say turning away from my faith. There is no way I could have survived these trials without knowing God promised to turn even the worst things into something good and beautiful.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I’d be able to relax more easily. I tend to get very focused and driven. Helpful during law school. Not so much now that I’m trying to make room for an important relationship.

6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?
I definitely had a faith, but it had been battered by time, experience, and the business of life. Can anyone relate?

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?
I have a fresh appreciation that God will never leave me or forsake me no matter what is happening in my life. Believe me, I need that assurance!

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.
As a lawyer, Micah 6:8 is a key scripture. What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. While I want justice in my work, I want to balance that with mercy and humbleness. It’s a challenge and that’s why that verse is so key. Especially when you’ve been harmed like I was, it’s easy to focus on justice at the expense of mercy. After all, God knows best how to achieve the perfect balance of justice and mercy, so I need to leave that to Him.

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?

Oh, I love this question! I am definitely an eat dessert first kind of girl. If I were to be one, it would have to be the green gateau from my favorite restaurant in Lincoln, the Green Gateau.


Wow, exciting read. Thank you Cara for sharing Tricia with us today.

No comments: