Sunday, October 4, 2009

Guarded Secrets Interview


Today we're welcoming Lilly Burkstrom, the heroine of Guarded Secrets, by Leann Harris, Oct 2009. Wow, you've just had quite an adventure.


1. Tell us a little about yourself and how you came to be in the midst of such suspense.
I grew up in Albuquerque, New Mexico. When I was a sophomore in college and met my husband and married. He didn’t want a baby and disappeared on me. I moved home and got a job at the church done the street.
My ex-husband was killed in a convenience store robbery. When the detective showed up at my home and told me about it, I remembered he told me that if he suddenly died, it wouldn’t be an accident. I told the detectives that. They didn’t believe me until my ex’s apartment and my house were broken into.

2. So, during the book you met Detective Jonathan Littledeer. Tell us a bit about him. What was your first impression? When did you know it was love?
When I called the police to report the break-in of my dead husband’s apartment, Jon and his partner showed up. Jon is a big, fierce looking man. But there was something in his eyes that told me he believed me. Later that night when I went home and found it too had been ransacked, I called Jon again. As he helped me clean up my house, I was overcome with tears. It was embarrassing. I cried all over his shirt, leaving two big spots on his shirt front. He laughed and said it was wash and wear. He won my heart then.

3. What strengths/skills do you have? What is your greatest weakness?
I have a gift to organize things. When I got the job at the church, I was a jack-of-all-trades. I got pretty handy with a wrench and fixing plumbing. I also learned I have a talent for gardening.

4. What scares you?
Being deserted. My ex-husband ran. After I got on my feet, my parents moved away, and I was alone again. Oddly, when Jon entered my life, he would show up at those times I was feeling shaky. His calm presence eased my fears. Of course God was there. He just sent me reassurance.

5. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I’d be 5’8”, blonde hair and killer body. Unfortunately, I am 5’4’, brown hair, brown eyes and fat thighs. But I fit nicely into my husband’s arms.

6. Where are you in your faith at the start of your story?
I was questioning God. Why did He allow my ex to die when he’d just come back to the Lord?

7. Where are you in your faith at the end of the story?
God showed me so much about my walk. He sent a wonderful man into my life that had endured so much in his personal life. He’d lost both of his little girls to a genetic disease. His wife had committed suicide. I saw how my little girl healed Jon of wounds from his past. How he’d overcome his pain left me in awe.

8. You've got a scripture at the beginning of the story. Tell us why this scripture is significant.
God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. Psalms 46:1. I had more trouble as the murdered stalked me and my daughter. As trouble occurred, I would recite that verse, taking comfort in His word. At the worst of times, when my daughter was kidnapped, I relied on His strength.

9. If you could be a dessert what would you be and why?

Lemon meringue pie. Sweet with a tartness that makes you want more.

sound like a great read. Thanks, Leanne for sharing Lilly with us today.

4 comments:

Debby Giusti said...

Hi Leanne,
Your story sounds great!!! I've got relatives in Albuquerque. A nice town. Fun to see your story is set there.

I'll be watching for your book in bookstores!!!

Project Journal said...

Sounds great! I was just telling my online book club that I can't wait to go out and get it!
Hannah

Leann Harris said...

I will say that as Lilly dictated her story to me, my skills as a typist came into play. I'm a lousy typist and a worst proofer. As a teen, I worked for my father. The company sold paper products. I sent an invoice of lips and bowels to the hospital instead of lids and bowls. At least the hospital could use them.

Leann Harris said...

Debby,
I have relatives all over New Mexico. I have relative in Las Vegas, which is off I-25. Most people want to say, "Don't you mean Las Vegas, Nevada?" No, there is a Las Vegas, NM.