Friday, October 23, 2009

Huddling in for Winter - Carol Steward


I think winter is closer than I'm really ready for. We've had our first snow, our first bitter freeze, and it's DARK by 7 pm. I find myself making soups and chowders for supper, pulling out the lap blankets, and thinking of.... yep, Christmas. What to get everyone-what could I make them? Will it mean as much to them as it did to me making it?


Funny that when money isn't so tight, I have no problem running out and grabbing "anything" to fulfill the gift-giving requirement. But now, I find myself wanting to give something the kids will remember. Like the silly appliqued sweatshirts I made my kids. One a racecar with a teddy bear driving it. The other a dinosaur throwing a button-football. They are still in boxes, waiting for my grandchildren to grow into them. And the boys still remember them. Last year my daughter-in-law requested I make her and her sons Christmas stockings to match ours. I thought they would want to start their own traditions with their own designed stockings. It made me feel pretty wonderful that a design my mom started 30+ years ago will live on, even if we didn't make sequin monster trucks back in those days.


I love fall and winter, when I can pull out the needlework, snuggle in, slow down and enjoy the many books in my "to be read" stack. At each "resting place" in my house, I have a different book at one stage or another in the reading progress.


What do you like most about fall?

3 comments:

Debby Giusti said...

Carol,
Temperatures have dropped in Georgia, and I'm enjoying the change this year. After a long, hot summer, it's nice to pull out sweaters and jackets and layer when I go outside. My afternoon walks are much more brisk, and a hot cup of tea is perfect in the evening.

One question though? How do you have time to make gifts for Christmas? :)

Anonymous said...

Cooler temps. The fall colors of orange and black. The trees changing colors. Great post.Blessings.
tarenn98[at]yahoo[dot]com

Anonymous said...

I like all of the holidays that occur in the Fall and all of the preparations for that special day. I like the extra cooking/baking and the smells of the season.
Jackie
JFWisherd(at)aol(dot)com