Friday, March 25, 2011

A Helping Hand

Hey there! Liz Johnson here.

I'm a pretty independent person. I've always been this way. I like to be on my own, and I like only relying on myself. Maybe that's why I like being a writer. It's a pretty solitary activity, just me and my laptop.

But this week, I started a new prescription medication that literally laid me out. My head has been spinning, my stomach rolling for the last three days. I couldn't move to get food for myself or even drive myself home from work today. So I knew I was going to have to ask for help. No matter how much I wanted to be able to take care of myself on my own.

But before I could even ask someone to help me get some crackers for lunch, one of my sweet friends was off to Walgreens and returned minutes later with the only thing that sounded remotely appetizing. And when I needed to get home, immediately a friend drove my car home while another followed to take her back to the office.

In the midst of feeling my lowest, I was reminded why friends are called friends. Because they stick by our sides and offer a helping hand, even when we don't want to ask for it.

I hope this week, you'll take a moment to offer a helping hand before someone even asks for it. And also allow someone to help you.

"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity." - Proverbs 17:17

3 comments:

Pamela Tracy said...

Liz,
I remember when I first met you, in Denver, at ACFW. I knew you were exactly the type of person I looked for in a friend. Too bad you don't live in AZ. But, you used to, right? And, you like to move!

Liz Johnson said...

Right back atcha, Pamela! Loved meeting you in Denver and love knowing someone else from Arizona. I grew up in Yuma, so AZ is near and dear to my heart. :)

Debby Giusti said...

Nice message in your blog today, Liz. Hope you're feeling better! :)

There's nothing like a friend! :)