Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Weather Setting

by Debby Giusti

Setting is an important part of every story, and especially so with suspense. Rarely do my characters bask in sunshine and gentle breezes. Instead I create overcast days with storm clouds darkening the horizon. Splatters of raindrops quickly turn into torrential downpours. Winds gust through tall pine trees and then pick up speed. Lightening cuts through the darkness as mighty claps of thunder shake the earth.


If my story--usually set in Georgia--takes place in winter, snow and ice blanket the South. Traffic is brought to a standstill and hazardous road conditions hinder the hero from finding his heroine. Months later, warmer fronts clash with arctic temperatures forming funnels of wind that rip apart everything in their path. Spring rain leads to flooding. Summer heat turns deadly as storms wash ashore in the coastal regions.

I need to write my next book, but warm weather has come early to Georgia this year. Daffodils line the front of my house. Red buds are out in all their glory. The Bradford pear trees are ready to bloom. My real life setting is anything but suspenseful.

Wait a minute…

Is that a storm cloud in the distant sky? Checking the forecast, I find the following warning: Strong thunderstorms with damaging wind expected later today.  Perfect!

Happy writing!

Wishing you abundant blessings,

Debby Giusti
http://www.debbygiusti.com/

Watch for THE OFFICER'S SECRET, the first book in my new Military Investigations series, out in May! 

4 comments:

Dana Mentink said...

Ah! Nothing like a good menacing storm to kick things up a notch!

Debby Giusti said...

Actually, I wrote the blog post on Monday, and GA did have storms then. Today is sunny and bright! :)

Pamela Tracy said...

I agree, I love storms.

Debby Giusti said...

Pam--a fellow suspense writer! :)