Friday, June 24, 2011

Are we getting a little soft?


Did you ever get the feeling that we’re getting a little lazy as a society? Hi, all. Dana Mentink here. I recently thumbed through a catalogue and two products caught my eye. The first is a little device that stirs your pot for you with these magical little feet. Handy no? We all know how exhausting stirring that pot of marinara can be. The other item is a nifty underwear type garment which heats up so you can give your buns a sauna treatment without leaving your home. No joke. Apparently these Sauna Pants will induce sweating and hence, weight loss, around those pesky problem areas.

Perhaps these items struck me particularly, because I’ve been researching the California gold rush era. People risked illness, accident and all manner of catastrophe getting to the gold fields via perilous routes through Panama, around Cape Horn or via treacherous overland trails. Many arrived to find horrendous living conditions in mining camps, discrimination, back breaking labor and lawlessness before they found so much as a flake of gold. A hard life, with no guarantee of survival, let alone profit. These pioneers stirred their own pots and lost weight the old fashioned way. I’m going to remember these rugged ancestors next time I spill my latte or complain that my computer is too slow. Just put on your big girl sauna pants and deal with it, Dana!

3 comments:

Pamela Tracy said...

Dana,
I actually purchased a wetnap warmer for my son when he was an infant. Yup, now when I wiped his bum, it would be with a warm nappy. Never used it! And, in the Mom's magazine I was getting, soon a top ten of WHAT NOT TO BUY came out. You guessed it. Wetnap Warmers were a no no.

Dana Mentink said...

I had a closet full of that type of stuff after my babies were born too, Pamela. Along those lines I recently saw an egg cracking device.and I wondered...how hard it is to crack an egg?

Lynette Eason said...

LOL. You make me laugh. But you're so right. What will we think of next. I have to admit to purchasing gadgets I don't need...sigh. I have an incredibly easy life if you look at it all in the grand scheme of things. I know I am well and truly blessed. Thanks for the reminder, Dana. Think I'll go thank God now!