Thursday, June 16, 2011

To Jump with Joy

Ramona here, and maybe it’s because of where and when I was born, but I have an unabated love for redneck boys and their toys. AKA muscle cars, heavy metal American. I learned to drive in a 1964 Impala (white with red interior), and I cried when my dad traded it for a driveway.

My own first car was a 1973 Dodge Duster, which I drove for six years. Not particularly powerful, but that little 6 cylinder went airborne a couple of times.

You know that roaring sound cars on TV make when they leap into the air? They really do sound like that when all four tires leave the ground. Ahem.

So when I needed a particular muscle car for my new book (working title: Murder in Progress), I narrowed it down to either a 1968 Pontiac GTO or a 1969 Dodge Charger. I asked my FB folks to vote, and the GTO won, no contest. Sorry, Bo.
The car had to be orange. The front seat had to be wide-spread buckets. The back seat needed to be roomy, as did the front passenger floorboard. And in the first chapter, you get to “hear” that delightful roar.
But you’ll have to read the book to find out why.

More later. Promise.

4 comments:

Pamela Tracy said...

I don't remember my first car. I know it was a Pontiac and it was a station wagon. It was pearl white. It had fins. Dad said if I hit a brick wall, the car would be okay. He was right. The car was okay. The wall wasn't.
Looking forward to your new book.

Ramona Richards said...

Ha! Pamela, I love that! Perfect description. Those cars were built like tanks. Even my little Duster took a lot of punishment and just kept chuggling a long.

Rita Gerlach said...

Boy that photo of the white Impala brings back memories. That was my first car, white, but with a blue interior. I bought it from my Dad in 1974 and used it to go back and forth to college classes.

Ramona Richards said...

Weren't they great! I LOVED that Impala. If only we'd have know it would become a "classic." :)