Thursday, June 23, 2011

New Ways by Leann Harris

Sorry, guys, I know I loaded this blog and when I check this afternoon after I took my mother to the doctor--nothing. It disappear without a trace. Kind of appropriate for this blog.

I am away from home as I write this. I’m in Houston at my mom’s. A good friend lives here. She is my best ‘what if’ partner. When I started writing straight romance and could no longer rely on a murder and solving the mystery to drive my stories, so I had to come up with a new way to plot. My friend, Sharon, showed me another way to plot. Heroes & Heroines—16 Master Archetypes by Tammy Cowden.

A little light went off in my brain. Use the h/h to generate a plot. It is a fabulous book. It aided what I already knew and once I knew who my hero and heroine were, I used that book to fill out their personalities--giving them challenges and obstacles instead of solving the mystery. Those archetype are good frames to build my characters and story. Once I had the frame, my characters let me know who they were. I think I grew as author and it is a great writers resource.

2 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Leann! Thanks for the recommendation. When I think about writing romances without the suspense/mystery, I get a little intimidated. This seems like an excellent resource. I'll definitely check it out!

Pamela Tracy said...

I am always flustered while writing a straight romance LOL. I need to check this out too.